Resampling aged data

BeefBot

Feb 23, 2018, 4:14:21 AM2/23/18
to OpenTSDB
Hello gents,

I have a large amount of very granular metrics - I need to reduce the storage capacity usage.

My idea is to resample old data to lower granularity and save storage space.
However, I need to exclude some metrics and some time intervals to archive the data on maximal granularity

Resampling would work as follows:

when a resampling job is run, it will look at metrics older than X and take all samples within ie. 30mins and use aggregation (ie mean average, quantile). the value will be recorded as a single value for that 30 min period, others will be deleted.

Questions:

a - is there any mechanism in open tsdb to set resampling job as described above?
b - how can I find out how much capacity is a specific metric taking up?

Thanks!

BB

ManOLamancha

May 22, 2018, 1:37:58 PM5/22/18
to OpenTSDB
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 1:14:21 AM UTC-8, BeefBot wrote:
Hello gents,

Questions:

a - is there any mechanism in open tsdb to set resampling job as described above?

We don't have a built-in job yet but we do have the capability, in 2.4, to store these "rolled-up" metrics and query over them with downsamplers.

b - how can I find out how much capacity is a specific metric taking up?

Unfortunately we don't have a really easy way of computing that. You kinda have to guestimate based on the number of time series for a metric + the recording interval + the type of value (integer vs float)