Need some help with windows installation of opentsdb

sjmi...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2017, 2:10:12 AM7/28/17
to OpenTSDB
Hello All,
I am following the instructions at:
http://opentsdb.net/docs/build/html/installation.html

Now in sys requirements it says:

A Linux system (or Windows with manual building)

So firstly what does it mean by "Windows with manual building"?

I have cygwin also windows power shell and a bash shell.

When I try to run ./build.sh using windows power shell or bash shell it hangs with following lines.

+ test -f configure
+ test -d build
+ cd build
+ test -f Makefile
+ MAKE=make
++ uname -s
+ '[' MINGW32_NT-6.2 = FreeBSD ']'
+ exec make

and when I try to run inside cyqwin I get this:

+ test -f configure
+ test -d build
+ cd build
+ test -f Makefile
+ MAKE=make
++ uname -s
+ '[' CYGWIN_NT-6.2-WOW64 = FreeBSD ']'
+ exec make
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh /bin/sh ../configure --no-create --no-recursion
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for md5sum... /usr/bin/md5sum
checking for java... /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_60/bin/java
checking for javac... /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_60/bin/javac
checking for jar... /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_60/bin/jar
checking for true... /usr/bin/true
checking for javadoc... /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_60/bin/javadoc
checking for wget... /usr/bin/wget
checking for curl... /usr/bin/curl
configure: creating ./config.status
 /bin/sh ./config.status
.in'ig.status: error: cannot find input file: `
Makefile:1302: recipe for target `Makefile' failed
make: *** [Makefile] Error 1

Can anyone suggest what may be going wrong?

Thanks
Sachin

ManOLamancha

Aug 11, 2017, 3:25:01 PM8/11/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi, it's been a while since I built it on Windows so I'll have to take a look again.

The easiest thing to do is to run "sh build.sh pom.xml" under a Linux VM or maybe the Win 10 Ubuntu command line. Then from Windows you can just run 'mvn package'. When I get back to my Windows laptop I'll see if I can give you better instructions.

Sachin Mittal

Aug 14, 2017, 7:37:05 AM8/14/17
to ManOLamancha, OpenTSDB
So I am trying to build the next branch via maven.

Here are some of my observation
1. To get things going one has to run dos2unix to all files under opentsdb and opentsdb/build-aux directories.
2.  ./build.sh pom.xml seem to be running only using cygwin and it indeed creates a pom.xml
3. then running mvn -e -X -Dgpg.skip -DskipTests clean install
gives the following error:

 (generate-build-data) on project opentsdb: Command execution failed. Cannot run program "D:\github\opentsdb\build-aux\gen_build_data.sh" (in directory "D:\github\opentsdb"): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Any idea what may be going wrong here.

Also there is a fat-jar-pom.xml.in under fat-jar.
Any idea how we can build a pom from that instead of pom.xml.in. I doubt that would also run on windows.

Thanks
Sachin

ManOLamancha

Aug 30, 2017, 1:44:41 AM8/30/17
to OpenTSDB, clars...@gmail.com
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 4:37:05 AM UTC-7, Sachin Mittal wrote:
So I am trying to build the next branch via maven.

Here are some of my observation
1. To get things going one has to run dos2unix to all files under opentsdb and opentsdb/build-aux directories.
2.  ./build.sh pom.xml seem to be running only using cygwin and it indeed creates a pom.xml
3. then running mvn -e -X -Dgpg.skip -DskipTests clean install
gives the following error:

 (generate-build-data) on project opentsdb: Command execution failed. Cannot run program "D:\github\opentsdb\build-aux\gen_build_data.sh" (in directory "D:\github\opentsdb"): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Any idea what may be going wrong here.

Drats. That's a shell script that pulls in the git information and generates a JAVA file from it. If there's a maven plugin that could perform the same operation, we can switch to that. Otherwise we should change it to a Python script that can be executed under any OS.

Also there is a fat-jar-pom.xml.in under fat-jar.
Any idea how we can build a pom from that instead of pom.xml.in. I doubt that would also run on windows.

It's similar but you run "sh build.sh fat-jar-pom.xml" I think to generate the maven.

We're going straight Maven in 3.x so this'll be cleaner.