[POLL] JVM Minimum for OpenTSDB 3.0

ManOLamancha

Mar 21, 2017, 6:33:58 PM3/21/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi folks,

We're bubbling up the OpenTSDB 3.0 code which is a major refactor of the project, splitting it into modules that can be shared with others. As a part of this, I'd like to see if anyone is still running OpenTSDB on older JVMs like 1.6.x or even 1.7.x. 1.8 includes some useful date and time code pulled from Joda-Time.

Question: Any objections to setting 1.8 as the minimum JVM version for 3.x? Thank you!

Nicholas Whitehead

Mar 22, 2017, 8:52:27 AM3/22/17
to OpenTSDB
No objection here.
Generally, I feel that libraries need to be JVM neutral (within reason)
while standalone services should use the JVM version best suited to the task.
Having said that, it would be nice to see some code cleanup with Lambda based suasync and asynchbase.