Just interpolation

Java Enthu

Jun 19, 2017, 6:28:10 AM6/19/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi,

Does OpenTSDB support just 'interpolation'?  From the documentation, what I could understand is , OpenTSDB interpolates data only when you combine multiple time series as part of 'Aggregation'.

But what I want is just interpolation - something like this:

/api/query?start=<start_date>&m=none:1h-none:temperature{sensor=112}

The query should just interpolates data hourly.

Is this possible?

Jonathan Creasy

Jun 19, 2017, 11:11:37 AM6/19/17
to Java Enthu, OpenTSDB
How would you interpolate on 1 series? Are you saying you have sparse or missing data and you would like to fill in gaps and have "something" for each expected datapoint?

Srinivas Rao

Aug 21, 2018, 5:06:21 PM8/21/18
to OpenTSDB
Jonathan, I have a similar use-case where I want to do interpolation on a single series. Is that possible.

ManOLamancha

Dec 28, 2018, 4:47:22 PM12/28/18
to OpenTSDB
To interpolate you have to downsample to fixed "buckets" of time, each of which contains a single value. So you can't have the `1h-none` as we wouldn't know what to do if there were more than one value in the hourly bucket. Thus we don't allow the `none` to be used there. You have to have something like `sum` or `avg` or `last`. With the intervals we can then interpolate by filling a bucket with LERP (only in 3.0) or NaN or Null. Hope that makes sense.