RE: [opentreemap-user] Django error when viewing tree details

Matthew Vanderhorst

Sep 2, 2014, 4:06:35 PM9/2/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com

I added our first tree.  That process went well.  When I click on the map icon for the tree that I added I get error.  If you go to our map, http://www.montgomerytreemap.org/montgomeryohio/map/, and click on the icon, it looks like a white shield with a red dot in the middle, and click on Edit or View all data, I get the error.

Matthew Vanderhorst

Community and Information Services Director
10101 Montgomery Rd.

Montgomery, Ohio 45242

Phone: (513) 792-8323

Fax: (513) 891-2498

Email: mva...@ci.montgomery.oh.us

Website: montgomeryohio.org

Facebook: CityofMontgomeryOhio

Twitter: @MontgomeryOhio

"Providing superior services with integrity. Partnering with you to build a great community!"

This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Andrew Thompson

Sep 2, 2014, 4:29:45 PM9/2/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

This is just a hunch, but I noticed the error I get talks about permissions for "spatial_ref_sys". I'm pretty sure this is one of the default tables for the PostGIS database and so it seems database-related. Perhaps the Django app is having trouble reading the DB. Are you sure you configured the database correctly and gave Django the right credentials? As the install guide indicates, you have to add PostGIS as an extension in the main OTM database, after creating it.

-Andrew

Andrew Thompson, Community Evangelist

Azavea |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
atho...@azavea.com  | T 215.701.7689  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  | Twitter @azavea

Join our community! Google Groups:

Matthew Vanderhorst

Sep 2, 2014, 4:44:33 PM9/2/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
I tried performing \c CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXIST postgis; and it said that postgis already exists.

I double checked the local_settings.py file and it contains the correct database credentials.

- Matthew

Matthew Vanderhorst

Sep 3, 2014, 1:56:55 PM9/3/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
I rebuilt the server using all of the database defaults and it fixed the problem.  I reviewed the instructions to make sure I was changing the database information where appropriate.  From what I can tell, it needs to be updated in local_settings.py, config.gcfg and settings.json.  Am I overlooking another file?  The only other step I did differently is use ENCRYPTED PASSWORD instead of SUPERUSER PASSWORD when creating the database user.  Could that have caused the problem?

OpenTreeMap is very impressive and we are so close to getting it up and running so I really appreciate all of the help that you have provided.

- Matthew Vanderhorst

Andrew Thompson

Sep 3, 2014, 4:16:11 PM9/3/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Glad you've achieved some new success. Computers can be finicky. local_settings.py for the Django app, config.gcfg for the Ecobenefits service, and settings.json for the otm2-tiler are where the Postgres connection info needs to be, so you should have it now. Using SUPERUSER _is_ intended for development environments _only_ where you want to run the Django test suite (if you made contributions to the codebase, for instance), whereas you would probably want to use ENCRYPTED instead for a production situation. I noticed you had Montgomerytreemap.org up on the public internet and so using ENCRYPTED makes sense there.

The Install Guide was developed and only ever tested with a "localhost" environment - ie, accessing OTM with a browser on the same machine it's installed on, and not over the public internet. So while I'd be surprised if SUPERUSER was the deciding issue between error and no error in your case, I guess anything is possible.

Glad it's working now!

-Andrew

Matthew Vanderhorst

Sep 3, 2014, 5:29:25 PM9/3/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com

I’ve been trying to get a production server up again and I’m running into the same problem I had last week with the CSS not working.  I ran the install a couple times and noticed a new alert that I don’t remember seeing before when I run the following command,

CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS hstore;

I get this,

WARNING: => is deprecated as an operator name

DETAIL:  This name may be disallowed altogether in future versions of PostgreSQL.

It still creates the extension but I have since been unable to get an install that will apply the CSS.

Matthew Vanderhorst

Community and Information Services Director
10101 Montgomery Rd.

Montgomery, Ohio 45242

Phone: (513) 792-8323

This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Chris Garrard

Sep 3, 2014, 6:12:38 PM9/3/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

I just thought I'd chime in with another idea as to why the tree details weren't working. I've been playing with OTM2 on a server with no GUI (Ubuntu Server 14), so all webpage viewing has been done from a remote machine. I used ENCRYPTED and have had no problems with it.

However, I was asked to include a lot of extra species that weren't in the "official" list that got created during the OTM installation. At first I had problems viewing tree details for a tree of one of those extra species if it had any size info added (like trunk diameter), although I don't remember what the error said. Adding in ecobenefit info for the offending species fixed the issue, however. So I wonder if your problem had something to do with the ecobenefit service not running correctly?

But at least you have it working now, and that's the important thing!

Chris

Matthew Vanderhorst

Matthew Vanderhorst