Update Installation Guide OTM Wiki

Nico Aliotta

Mar 19, 2016, 3:01:12 AM3/19/16
to opentreemap-user
It seems that is out of date.

So if you can help, we can try to update it.

- OTM2 now works n Ubuntu x64 14.04. Are there still problems with x32 versions? And what are them? dependencies? the code of your application or some other stuff will not work?
- do you still use mapnik v2.1.0 ?
- postgresql-9.1 and postgis-2.0?
- grun...@0.1.9?
-Which version of eco benefit repo are you using now? (maybe this one works only on x64? because i see in link
wget "https://go.googlecode.com/files/go1.2.linux-amd64.tar.gz")

Answering this questions i think we have almost done update of the Wiki :)

Nico Aliotta

Mar 19, 2016, 2:43:51 PM3/19/16
to opentreemap-user
Installing on Ubuntu 14.04

when i do:
apt-get install postgresql postgresql-server-dev-9.1 postgresql-contrib postgresql-9.1-postgis-2.0
recieve:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package postgresql-server-dev-9.1
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'postgresql-server-dev-9.1'
E: Unable to locate package postgresql-9.1-postgis-2.0
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'postgresql-9.1-postgis-2.0'

so i tryed:
apt-get install postgresq

then i do as in tutorial:

mkdir -p /usr/local/postgis/download
cd /usr/local/postgis/download
wget http://postgis.org/download/postgis-2.0.1.tar.gz
tar -xzf postgis-2.0.1.tar.gz
cd postgis-2.0.1
./configure --without-topology
make

and all is fine except this:

checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for convert... no
configure: WARNING: ImageMagick does not seem to be installed. Documentation cannot be built
checking for xsltproc... no
configure: WARNING: xsltproc is not installed so documentation cannot be built
checking for xmllint... no
configure: WARNING: xmllint is not installed so documentation cannot be checked
checking for dblatex... no
configure: WARNING: dblatex is not installed so PDF documentation cannot be built
configure: WARNING: could not locate Docbook stylesheets required to build the documentation
checking CUnit/CUnit.h usability... no
checking CUnit/CUnit.h presence... no
checking for CUnit/CUnit.h... no
configure: WARNING: could not locate CUnit required for liblwgeom unit tests
checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
checking for iconv_open in -lc... yes
checking for iconvctl... no
checking for libiconvctl... no
checking for pg_config... /usr/bin/pg_config
configure: error: the PGXS Makefile /usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk cannot be found. Please install the PostgreSQL server development packages and re-run configure.
make: *** [GNUmakefile] Error 1
root@vps259265:/usr/local/postgis/download/postgis-2.0.1#

with make install:

checking for iconvctl... no
checking for libiconvctl... no
checking for pg_config... /usr/bin/pg_config
configure: error: the PGXS Makefile /usr/lib/postgresql/9.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk cannot be found. Please install the PostgreSQL server development packages and re-run configure.
make: *** [GNUmakefile] Error 1

Found other problems here:

root@vps259265:~# mkdir /usr/local/otm
root@vps259265:~# cd /usr/local/otm
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# git clone https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-core.git
Cloning into 'otm-core'...
remote: Counting objects: 28942, done.
remote: Total 28942 (delta 68), reused 3 (delta 3), pack-reused 28825
Receiving objects: 100% (28942/28942), 12.69 MiB | 7.84 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (20678/20678), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# mv OTM2 app
mv: cannot stat ‘OTM2’: No such file or directory
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# virtualenv env
New python executable in /usr/local/otm/env/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pip, wheel...done.
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# source env/bin/activate
(env) root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# cd /usr/local/otm/app
-bash: cd: /usr/local/otm/app: No such file or directory
(env) root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# pip install -r requirements.txt
Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'requirements.txt'
(env) root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# pip install -r test-requirements.txt
Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'test-requirements.txt'
(env) root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm#

Michael Maurizi

Mar 19, 2016, 2:51:54 PM3/19/16
to opentreemap-user
So I think the necessary PostgreSQL Ubuntu packages are: "postgresql postgresql-server-dev-9.3 postgresql-contrib postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1.

Even if you're not using it, the bootstrap.sh script in otm-vagrant is a pretty good reference for what you need to install for Ubuntu Trusty (https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-vagrant/blob/077d56f3ecb9b101857a8095d8cedf63b39407c0/bootstrap.sh#L30).

BTW, some general Ubuntu advice, if you're compiling something, you'll need the "*-dev" package for its dependencies.

Michael Maurizi, Software Developer
Azavea |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
mmau...@azavea.com | Web azavea.com  |  @azavea

-----
We'll be moving on March 1, 2016. Please update your records with our new address:
990 Spring Garden Street, 5th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19123
----

Nico Aliotta

Mar 19, 2016, 3:32:00 PM3/19/16
to opentreemap-user
Step 1 and 2 are now fine for me.. and i'll update..

In step 3 there are other problems:

until here:
mkdir /usr/local/otm
cd /usr/local/otm
git clone https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-core.git

all is fine.

then

root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# mv OTM2 app
mv: cannot stat ‘OTM2’: No such file or directory
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# virtualenv env
New python executable in /usr/local/otm/env/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pip, wheel...done.
root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# source env/bin/activate
(env) root@vps259265:/usr/local/otm# cd /usr/local/otm/app
-bash: cd: /usr/local/otm/app: No such file or directory
Setting up npm (1.3.10~dfsg-1) ...

Nico Aliotta

Mar 19, 2016, 3:46:57 PM3/19/16
to opentreemap-user
the right folder is
cd /usr/local/otm/app/otm-core/

i've to move the files in
cd /usr/local/otm/app ??

if i do
pip install -r requirements.txt pip install -r test-requirements.txt pip install -r dev-requirements.txt

in
/usr/local/otm/app/otm-core/
all is fine but i don't know if it's correct

Nico Aliotta

Mar 20, 2016, 3:05:45 PM3/20/16
to opentreemap-user
solved that issues of folders

there are some links that are missing:
like

https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-vagrant/blob/master/configs/usr/local/ecoservice/config.gcfg
and others of step5 and 6

cause for some files of configuration i recieve  error 404

Michael Maurizi

Mar 21, 2016, 9:58:09 AM3/21/16
to opentreemap-user
Nico,

We recently changed the way we configure the Tiler and Ecoservice projects, and have not updated our wiki yet to reflect it.

Instead of using config files, we set environment variables that should be present when the executable is run.  You can see what environment variables are required by looking at the README files for otm-tiler and otm-ecoservice (https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-tiler/blob/develop/README.md and https://github.com/OpenTreeMap/otm-ecoservice/blob/develop/README.md#running-the-ecoservice).

Hope this helps, and sorry for the out of date documentation.  I plan on updating it in the next few weeks, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks,
Michael

Nico Aliotta

Mar 21, 2016, 10:47:10 AM3/21/16
to opentreemap-user
Dear Michael,
Thanks for your reply. I'll read the links and i'll try to set these variables. And i pray that all will be fine :-).
I'm really looking forward to OTM.

Anyway if doesn't work for me and i try to use otm-vagrant project  With it i can also add trees from outside office/home? OTM will be reachable over the internet? There will be also other differences with the "server" version?

Thanks

Michael Maurizi

Mar 21, 2016, 10:53:04 AM3/21/16
to opentreemap-user
Nico,

I would not recommend using the otm-vagrant project for a production server.
It works fine for development of OTM, but has some pretty bad configuration for a production system (no email setup, assumes all services are on the same server, insecure database password, etc.).

That said, the otm-vagrant project's provisioning code works, and is an OK resource for determining what dependencies you need to install.

Best of luck!

 - Michael

Nico Aliotta

Mar 23, 2016, 1:29:14 PM3/23/16
to opentreemap-user
Another thing to fix in tutorial is on Step 3:

Database migrations

Now, we'll have to use south to sync and apply the OTM database migrations.

The word south links to http://south.aeracode.org/ but seems that is not online

found this http://www.aeracode.org/projects/south/ but there is nothing about.

Michael Maurizi

Mar 23, 2016, 1:30:48 PM3/23/16
to opentreemap-user
Oh dear, that is very old.  We use the migrations framework built-in to Django now (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/topics/migrations/).

Nico Aliotta

Mar 23, 2016, 1:38:33 PM3/23/16
to opentreemap-user
Ok Thanks.

I think that i've to wait that someone will update the wiki to complete installation :(
It's frustrating for me now :) I'm confused. Everything is changed and i don't know where to put my hands :)

Anyway thanks because you always reply and are kind

Ricard Roca Munárriz

Apr 8, 2016, 11:15:44 AM4/8/16
to opentreemap-user
I followed the wiki to do my installation of opentreemap and I also found some outdated data..

Regarding the eco service in step 7 of the wiki I had to change the init script in order to run the service.

I changed the original...
wget
for this one where ecobenefits

description "Eco benefit service"

start on vagrant
-mounted
stop on shutdown

respawn
respawn limit
50 5

kill timeout
5

chdir
/usr/local/ecoservice

exec ./otm-ecoservice 2>&1 1>/var/log/ecoservice

I might say that there are some other minor mistakes regarding the data source folder and the cfg file is no longer avalaible. It seems is no longer needed as
I have seen in last commits.

Hope it helps

El dissabte, 19 març de 2016 8:01:12 UTC+1, Nico Aliotta va escriure:

Ricard Roca Munárriz

Apr 8, 2016, 11:25:22 AM4/8/16
to opentreemap-user
Sorry where it the script there was a lillte mistake...wher it says
chdir /usr/local/ecoservice it must be chdir /usr/local/ecoservice/bin
description "Eco benefit service"

start on vagrant
-mounted
stop on shutdown

respawn
respawn limit
50 5

kill timeout
5

chdir
/usr/local/ecoservice/bin

exec ./otm-ecoservice 2>&1 1>/var/log/ecoservice

El divendres, 8 abril de 2016 17:15:44 UTC+2, Ricard Roca Munárriz va escriure:

Nico Aliotta

Apr 8, 2016, 2:05:16 PM4/8/16
to opentreemap-user
Thanks for the infos!

Are you from Spain? did you activated the eco-benefits also if you are outside US?
Is your project online? can you send me the link?

Ricard Roca Munárriz

Apr 8, 2016, 2:49:07 PM4/8/16
to opentreemap-user
Yes I am from spain. Right now I am doing some testing of otm-core and otm-android in order to do a tree inventory of my town. The ecoservice is running but I cannot make it work because I am outside US. But I am interested to see how it works in order to implement some metrics for my town.
.

El divendres, 8 abril de 2016 20:05:16 UTC+2, Nico Aliotta va escriure:

Nico Aliotta

Apr 8, 2016, 2:58:35 PM4/8/16
to opentreemap-user
Congratulation.  Did you installed on a VPS or a real pc server?

I want to do the same for my City in Italy :)

Ricard Roca Munárriz

Apr 11, 2016, 3:08:59 AM4/11/16
to opentreemap-user
Rigth now it is on a real PC server

Nico Aliotta

Apr 11, 2016, 9:52:24 AM4/11/16
to opentreemap-user
Is it possible to you to upgrade the wiki?

So everyone can install it :)  Or you forgot the steps that are changed respect to the wiki on the website?
i'm using otm-vagrant and it's great for now that i'm adding trees and i've translated it. But i want to use on the server so other people can help me to add trees and can use the app :)

Nico Aliotta

Apr 17, 2016, 1:59:44 PM4/17/16
to opentreemap-user
Maybe for EarthDay 22/4
http://www.earthday.org/earth-day/earth-day-theme/
Let’s get planting.

Let’s get planting.
Let's get Planting Trees and Map them :)
Let’s get planting.
Let’s get planting.

Let’s get planting.
there will be a gift from the team of OTM with updated Wiki?

:)

Nico Aliotta

May 2, 2016, 2:05:24 PM5/2/16
to opentreemap-user
Thanks to Rick Mohr

i ll test it and report if there is some problem :)

I was waiting it :)

Rick Mohr

May 2, 2016, 2:10:08 PM5/2/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Nico, we'll be glad to have your testing feedback. You might want to wait another day or so because it's now being reviewed internally and will likely have require minor changes. Once reviewed internally the draft will be deleted and its content will replace the current page.

Rick Mohr, Software Developer
Azavea  |  990 Spring Garden Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA
215.701.7504  |  Web azavea.com  |  @azavea

Nico Aliotta

May 3, 2016, 9:35:50 AM5/3/16
to opentreemap-user
Ok i'll wait tomorrow.

I will be glad to give you feedback and to install your fantastic OTM :)

Nico Aliotta

May 4, 2016, 4:42:27 PM5/4/16
to opentreemap-user
I tryed to follow tutorial and  i recieve warnings for some of packages that are deprecated and this errors when i do npm install for otm-tiler on step5:

[srs] Success: "/usr/local/tiler/node_
modules/windshaft/node_modules/grainstore/node_modules/millstone/node_modules/srs/lib/binding/node-v11-linux-x64/srs.node" is installed
npm ERR! map...@0.7.28 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the map...@0.7.28 install script.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the mapnik package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR!     node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR!     npm owner ls mapnik
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! System Linux 4.2.0-27-generic
npm ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install"
npm ERR! cwd /usr/local/tiler
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.37
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.28
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! not ok code 0

While all other steps are fine :)

When i go on localhost i can see a white page but not sign up!
See attachment

Screenshot from 2016-05-04 22_34_57.png

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 10:21:33 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
I've repeated the step 5 of the wiki tomorrow and i don't recieve any error! Doing NOTHING different from yesterday!

but on http://localhost i can see always the same thing. White page with a "gear" at the top on the right.

the other thing that i cannot understand is this step:
ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/otm.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/otm.conf
#must provide the full paths here for symlinking to work right

What do you mean for full path?
/etc/nginx/sites-available/otm.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/otm.conf
They are not full path??

Michael Maurizi

May 5, 2016, 10:23:31 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
Nico,

If you click on the gear, there should be a sign up link. The sign up link is hidden in a dropdown menu for very small screen sizes.

Michael

Michael Maurizi, Software Developer
Azavea |  990 Spring Garden, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA
mmau...@azavea.com | Web azavea.com  |  @azavea

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 10:27:32 AM5/5/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Nico,

What OS version is on your machine? Was it completely clean when you started?

Rick

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 10:29:39 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
no i clicked on it but nothing happens.

but "copiyng" from the opentreemap website if i go to http://localhost/accounts/register/ instead of https://www.opentreemap.org/accounts/register/

i can see the webpage for registration.

Now i try if all is fine!

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 10:35:14 AM5/5/16
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Nico Aliotta <nicoa...@gmail.com> wrote:
the other thing that i cannot understand is this step:
ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/otm.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/otm.conf
#must provide the full paths here for symlinking to work right

What do you mean for full path?
/etc/nginx/sites-available/otm.conf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/otm.conf
They are not full path??

I agree the comment is confusing. It's saying that this wouldn't work:
ln -s sites-available/otm.conf sites-enabled/otm.conf

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 10:38:00 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
Ubuntu 14.04.
Yes fresh installation. Congratulation Rick the Wiki is perfect for me :)

I've completed the forms for registration and waiting the email. :)

But i think that will not arrive. If i try to register with same user says the user already exist.

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 10:41:26 AM5/5/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Does your local_settings.py have:

EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend'
EMAIL_HOST = 'localhost'
EMAIL_PORT = 25

and since making that change have you done:

sudo service otm-unicorn restart

?

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 10:52:45 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user

my local_settings.py has:

EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.filebased.EmailBackend'
EMAIL_FILE_PATH = '/usr/local/otm/emails'

now i change it as you suggested and i'll restart the service.

While about:

--

yes was confusing for me. But remember that i'm from italy so my english is not perfect. :)

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 11:11:43 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
now this is the part of local_settings.py about email:

EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.filebased.EmailBackend'

EMAIL_HOST = 'localhost'
EMAIL_PORT = 25
EMAIL_FILE_PATH = '/usr/local/otm/emails'

i've done:
root@nico:/home/nico# sudo service otm-unicorn restart
otm-unicorn stop/waiting
otm-unicorn start/running, process 8320

Registered another user with another email:
Account created!

Your OpenTreeMap account has been created. You will receive an activation email shortly; please use it to confirm your account.

But i didn't recieve email.

I'll wait 15 minutes

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 11:16:12 AM5/5/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Nico,

That's not quite right. I've updated the section on local_settings.py, please take a look:

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 11:50:59 AM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
now i've:

STATIC_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/static'
MEDIA_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/media'

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.contrib.gis.db.backends.postgis',
        'NAME': 'my_dbname'
        'USER': my_user'
        'PASSWORD': 'my_password'
        'HOST': 'localhost',
        'PORT': '5432'
    }
}

BROKER_URL = 'redis://localhost:6379/'
CELERY_RESULT_BACKEND = 'redis://localhost:6379/'

EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend'
EMAIL_HOST = 'localhost'
EMAIL_PORT = 25

DEBUG = False
ALLOWED_HOSTS = ['my_dyndns', 'localhost']

i've restarted the service but i still cannot recieve emails.

Before this changes i can see the logs in the folder "email" (Like in OTM vagrant tutorial)
while After these changes i cannot see anymore that logs but i think is normal because we removed: EMAIL_FILE_PATH = '/usr/local/otm/emails'

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 12:25:26 PM5/5/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Do you receive a test email sent with

echo "Subject: test" | /usr/lib/sendmail -v nicoa...@gmail.com

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 12:34:29 PM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
No i didn't recieve the email test:

this is what happen in terminal:

http://pastebin.com/2AnvvPyM

i've changed in pastebin the email only for bots as antispam. But in the test i used the real e-mail

Nico Aliotta

May 5, 2016, 1:08:00 PM5/5/16
to opentreemap-user
In the meantime (i've activated an user clicking on the link of the log file) and i can confirm you that also step 10, 11 and 12 of tutorial are good for me.

I was able to create a treemap instance, i can see it in browser and i added also trees.

So Thank you very much! I think that now the installation guide is updated.

I/We have only to fix the email problem. I'll check if it's my fault.

Thx for now

Rick Mohr

May 5, 2016, 1:11:16 PM5/5/16
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
The link in that output summarizes the problem:

Once you can send a test email, OTM emails should also work.

I'm not experienced in this area, but googling shows it's a common issue. I learned something from these:

Ideally the wiki would tell you exactly how to update your sendmail configuration to use a relay server, but we're not there yet.

-Rick

Ricard Roca Munárriz

May 13, 2016, 10:39:40 AM5/13/16
to opentreemap-user
In step 3. Editing local_settings.py I miss to write the locale paths...that will allow to make visible the translation for the templates otherwise they are not visible.

LOCALE_PATHS = ('../locale','../treemap/locale')

Hope it helps

El dijous, 5 maig de 2016 19:11:16 UTC+2, Rick Mohr va escriure:

Nico Aliotta

May 24, 2016, 1:51:31 PM5/24/16
to opentreemap-user
I still have the problem with the email

before edit it
as suggested in the link of Rick

Add FEATURE('mailertable') to your sendmail.mc file. (note that the first quote should be a backtick.

Create your /etc/mail/mailertable file (See man page)

Create a mapfile: sudo makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db < /etc/mail/mailertable

Rebuild your configs make -C /etc/mail

Restart sendmail: service sendmail restart

can you see if something is wrong?

on lines from 57-59 i see Addr=127.0.0.1 is it normal? or i've to change that with my ip?

Nico Aliotta

May 25, 2016, 1:56:52 PM5/25/16
to opentreemap-user
I think that there is an error in wiki installation guide:

Edit local_settings.py to contain the following:

STATIC_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/static'
MEDIA_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/media'

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.contrib.gis.db.backends.postgis'
,
        'NAME': 'otm'  # substitute your database name
        'USER': 'otm'  # substitute your database username
        'PASSWORD': 'otm'  # substitute your database password

        'HOST': 'localhost',
        'PORT': '5432'
    }
}

we need a "," for each line
STATIC_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/static'
MEDIA_ROOT = '/usr/local/otm/media'

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'django.contrib.gis.db.backends.postgis'
,
        'NAME': 'otm',  # substitute your database name
        'USER': 'otm',  # substitute your database username
        'PASSWORD': 'otm',  # substitute your database password

Michael Maurizi

May 25, 2016, 2:05:48 PM5/25/16
to opentreemap-user
Please feel free to update the wiki to fix mistakes like these.

Nico Aliotta

May 25, 2016, 2:38:16 PM5/25/16
to opentreemap-user
i've edit it!

i'll add also something on vagrant wiki.

i've to find the problem on sendmail :(

On a VPS i can recieve the emails while on my own (local server) cannot recieve them.