trees.metastudio.org

Johnson Chetty

Mar 28, 2015, 12:07:14 AM3/28/15
to opentreemap-user
Hello,

Greetings!

We want to introduce to you trees.metastudio.org
It is a fork of OTM2 and is tailored to the Indian environment.

We are based out of the Homi Bhabha Center for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai, India.

We aim to create a citizen science project around the app by
involving students to map the trees around their localities and make scientific observations pertaining to the trees and the environment around them.

The trees.metastudio.org site is still in beta and we are moving toward some changes that we hope will be useful to the OTM2  community at large too!

We were looking to utilize the Android app as well towards this and I think you guys have done a great job!

Can we include trees.metastudio.org as a listed entity in the Android app?
Or would it be better to fork the code and have a separate app?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Johnson Chetty

Justin Walgran

Mar 30, 2015, 1:11:54 PM3/30/15
to opentree...@googlegroups.com

Johnson,

Thanks for letting us know about your fork. We will be watching it for any fixes and feature additions that may be useful to the entire community.

Our mobile apps are designed so they can be skinned and configured to connect to alternate installations of OpenTreeMap. We cannot easily integrate the listing of instance not hosted on  opentreemap.org into the mobile app, however you can definitely create your own builds of the Android and iOS applications configures to connect to trees.metastudio.org.

I noticed that the tree detail pages on your maps, the "Yearly Ecosystem Services" section has a link pointing back to the FAQ on opentreemap.org. To ensure that your users do not get confused and register for an opentreemap.org account rather than a trees.metastudio.org account, I would recommend changing this, and other opentreemap.org links on the site to pages under the trees.metastudio.org domain.

-Justin

Johnson Chetty

Mar 30, 2015, 9:08:55 PM3/30/15
to opentreemap-user

On 30 Mar 2015 22:41, "Justin Walgran" <jwal...@azavea.com> wrote:

>> Johnson,
>>
>> Thanks for letting us know about your fork. We will be watching it for any fixes and feature additions that may be useful to the entire community.
>

> Our mobile apps are designed so they can be skinned and configured to connect to alternate installations of OpenTreeMap. We cannot easily integrate the listing of instance not hosted on  opentreemap.org into the mobile app, however you can definitely create your own builds of the Android and iOS applications configures to connect to trees.metastudio.org.

Okay! That sounds good too!

> I noticed that the tree detail pages on your maps, the "Yearly Ecosystem Services" section has a link pointing back to the FAQ on opentreemap.org. To ensure that your users do not get confused and register for an opentreemap.org account rather than a trees.metastudio.org account, I would recommend changing this, and other opentreemap.org links on the site to pages under the trees.metastudio.org domain.

Duly noted, Thanks!