registration email not being sent.

Mathew Brown

Oct 16, 2014, 10:26:05 AM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

When users register on my site an activation email isn't being sent, although the registration_complete.html page shows up. I've setup my email address as the SUPPORT_EMAIL_ADDRESS in settings but no joy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mat

Mathew Brown

Oct 16, 2014, 10:35:59 AM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Looks like sendmail isn't installed and doesn't seem to want to. I'll work getting that setup.

Mathew Brown

Oct 16, 2014, 10:56:42 AM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
K, sendmail is installed and I've restarted it but still no emails are going out.

Michael Maurizi

Oct 16, 2014, 11:01:53 AM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

We encountered a sendmail problem (which may or may not be the one you are experiencing) around hostnames.

Try doing the following (feel free to use a domain other than "mail.example.com"):
$ vim /etc/hostname # Make contents "mail.example.com"
$ hostname -F /etc/hostname
$ vim /etc/hosts # Add "mail.example.com" to the end of the localhost line

Michael Maurizi

Michael V. Maurizi Jr
Software Developer
Azavea |  340 N 12th St, Suite 402, Philadelphia, PA
mmau...@azavea.com  | T 215.558.6190
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  | Twitter @azavea

Justin Walgran

Oct 16, 2014, 11:11:25 AM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
It would also be a good idea to take a look at /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/mail.err (if you are not on an Ubuntu machine, the sendmail logs may be in a different place) to see if there are any details about the specific problem.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Mathew Brown <mathewbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mathew Brown

Oct 16, 2014, 12:56:24 PM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I’ve looked at these files and I think it’s a hostnames issue, I just can’t get it working. I’m able to send email from the command line
 /usr/sbin/sendmail
but I’ve played around with the hostname and host files and I still come up with errors
dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format error
Oct 16 12:50:26 darjeeling sm-mta[63651]: s9GGoQ2K063649: s9GGoQ2K063651: DSN: Data format error

Micheal I chained the name in the hostname file to: mail.example.com and added it to hosts but I’m still getting an error. Hmmm.

On Oct 16, 2014, at 11:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "opentreemap-user" group.

Mathew Brown

Oct 16, 2014, 1:01:14 PM10/16/14
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
This seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help!