Using OSM tile layer instead of Google

Johnson Chetty

Jan 9, 2015, 4:52:17 AM1/9/15
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I wanted to know how easy it would be to use OSM tiles instead of Google tiles.
We have an OSM tile server on the same machine and I also saw that there is a TILE_HOST option in the settings file.
So I thought we could use that? Is there something already being done for this purpose?

Could anyone let me know what would be the scope of changes needed to be done. Are there any hidden issues that can come up while attempting this?

Andrew Thompson

Jan 9, 2015, 12:03:32 PM1/9/15
to opentree...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johnson,

It should be pretty easy to swap out the default Google tiles for OSM tiles and.

The type of basemap used is set in each "Instance" Django model. Provided you have an {x}/{y}/{z} TMS URL for an OSM tile server, you can change the basemap_type and basemap_data values of the Instance you want to switch to OSM tiles, either through the PSQL prompt directly or the Django admin shell

See the definition here:

Set basemap_type = 'tms'

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Thompson, Community Evangelist

Azavea |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
atho...@azavea.com  | T 215.701.7689  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  | Twitter @azavea

Join our community! Google Groups:

Justin Walgran