Re: Short self introduction

paris selinas

Jul 2, 2012, 7:07:00 AM7/2/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi from me too,

thanks for letting me join this group, it is really really interesting.

I have a MEng on Electrical & Computer Engineering and I am currently doing my MSc on Product Design at Brunel University, This period I am working on my dissertation which is about toys/games and open design, something very relevant to what you do guys. I have checked most of your sites, great piece of work out there. It would be so cool if I could have an interview/meet some of you, I will be back on this.

Thank you, all the best,

Paris
tweet @ ParisSelinas

On 2 July 2012 09:10, Jason Li <bigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself for a short while and to say thank for you letting me join the group.

I'm primarily a designer by trade, and have been interested in educational technology for a while (my original degrees were in Education and Engineering). Most of my current efforts are focused on making a kickass electronics playset over at Canidu and I also do bits and pieces of freelance design.

Anyway, please let me know how I can be helpful in any way and I look foward to hearing more about everyone's projects!

Jason
hongkonggong.com

Nirzaree Vadgama

Jul 19, 2012, 8:32:55 AM7/19/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

First of all, cool work Jason! What are the next projects at Canidu? :)

I completed my B.Tech in Electronics Engineering and have been doing some D.I.Y. projects since a year at my lab at home. Most of my projects are on my webpage and a lil fraction of those on Instructables.

My interests are into Art+Design+Technology; making the urban living more eco-friendly and working towards education as a holistic experience [I plan to start a school to implement all of those..  ;) ]

Would love to hear from other members of the group. Do shed off a little intertia and let us know ur interests and projects.

Regards from India,
Nirzaree

--

Life is a verb, it is not a noun..

Grace Kane

Jul 22, 2012, 8:34:45 PM7/22/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
While everyone's saying hi...hi!

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and, my day job is currently in the offshore industry - but more relevantly, I helped start (and now spend a lot of time on) an organization called the Practical Energy Network. Our focus is making hands-on, creative science&technology lessons more available in low-resource schools, and a lot of the ways we're trying to do that are by designing experiments (or toys!) that can be made out of commonly found materials, as opposed to expensive science kits.

Excited to join this community, and to hear about everyone's projects!

Grace

Nirzaree Vadgama

Jul 23, 2012, 12:20:21 AM7/23/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hey Grace!

There is a wonderful lab in Pune,India by Prof. Arvind Gupta who designs wonderful toys from simplistic materials.  I have been to his lab and its a cool place. They have put all their work on their website too. You may like to check out.

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/

Regards,
Nirzaree

Shraddha Shah

Jul 23, 2012, 8:56:52 PM7/23/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I don't really remember the exact serendipitous encounter that brought me to this group! I believe I stumbled upon tinker toys while researching innovation toys for a project (which was about creating engineering toys for girls). Trained as an electronics engineer from Mumbai University, and currently studying Engineering Management at Dartmouth, my interest in design is rather recent. I work with Design For America and am interested in human centered design. My perception of design is related to synthesis and coming together of ideas. It’s like the fusion-fission process but with ideas as input for the fusion and change and impact as outputs for the fission. With a sense of belief in this ideology, and a long-run desire to promote collaborative innovation and education beyond literacy, I am working to start an organization to promote design education (human centered design, helping develop thought processes to spur innovation) and create a collaboration network amongst different demographics. I am in the process of piloting the concept in my undergraduate school, and few other schools in Mumbai if it works out. I am looking to collaborate with someone who has core design experience, and an interest and belief in the 'philosophy' of design as well. Feel free to reach me with guidance, thoughts, comments and collaborative interests!

Sorry about the long introduction! Looking forward to hear from the awesome community.
Message has been deleted