Any Open Data Sets for the (Football) Euro Cup (in France 2016)?

Gerald Bauer

May 10, 2016, 9:41:43 AM5/10/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

30 days to kick off! Now the the question is:

Are there any public data sets for the European Championship "Euro"
Cup in France 2016?

Didn't find anything for download on the official UEFA site (besides
a single-page PDF booklet for the match schedule).

Ideally the data set includes groups, teams, players, squads,
matches, stadiums and so on and is in an open plain text format such
as CSV (comma-separated values), JSON (javascript objects), SQL
(structured query language), etc.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers.

PS: Disclosure: I'm the project lead of the football.db project
collecting open public domain football data e.g.

- openfootball/euro-cup [1] Euro Cup Datasets (1960-2020) - not comple
in any way :-(

PPS: I've also posted the question to the Open Data Stack Exchange [2].

[1] https://github.com/openfootball/euro-cup
[2] http://opendata.stackexchange.com/questions/7745/any-open-data-sets-for-the-football-euro-cup-in-france-2016

Gabriele N.

May 11, 2016, 3:22:57 AM5/11/16
to opensport
I've found this API:
http://www.football-data.org/

To call the fixtures of Euro 2016:
http://api.football-data.org/v1/soccerseasons/424/fixtures

Doesn't look complete with all the informations you're looking for, though.

Gabriele

Gerald Bauer

May 11, 2016, 4:45:26 AM5/11/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gabriele,
Thanks for the links. The point is getting/finding open data that
you can (re)use e.g. open data requires an open license e.g.

Copyright © 2014-2016 football-data.org

Is NOT open even if the api might be free (for limited use). Hope
that makes sense. Cheers.

Gabriele N.

May 11, 2016, 5:54:24 AM5/11/16
to opensport
Got your point

Gerald Bauer

May 11, 2016, 8:18:29 AM5/11/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The football-data.org project looks great, Just needs a statement
about how you can use the JSON data files. Unfortunately, if you don't
say anything than the "standard" copyright "rules" are assumed.

For example, the football.db simply states:

> The football.db schema, data and scripts are dedicated to the public domain.
> Use it as you please with no restrictions whatsoever.

That's really (ideally) all that's needed to make it clear that
you're free and invited to (re)use the data anyway you want etc.
(instead of assuming "all rights reserved".)

Cheers.

PS: Here's a great open data definition published by the Open
Knowledge Foundaton (OKFN). -> http://opendefinition.org

Gabriele N.

May 11, 2016, 9:11:57 AM5/11/16
to opensport
Gerald,
keep an eye on this page: http://sportsopendata.net/
For now they only provide the Italian Serie A, but they told me they're gonna cover Euro 2016 as well.
You can check their license here: http://sportsopendata.net/updates/sports-open-data-creative-commons-license/

Gerald Bauer

May 11, 2016, 11:03:03 AM5/11/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Wow. Thanks for highlighting the Sports Open Data site / service.
Looks great. Let's see how it works out.

Cheers.

PS:

> We're the first Sports Open Data Service on World Wide Web

Well, I guess football.db was earlier ;-). The first open sports data
service that still is in operation as far as I know is the great
openligadb.de service [1] (more than 10 years in operation or
something) by Marcel Siegel.

[1] http://www.openligadb.de

Gerald Bauer

May 24, 2016, 2:36:21 PM5/24/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> 30 days to kick off!

(Update May/24) 17 days to kick off! Any new sources? Any datasets?
Any insight and pointers appreciated. Cheers.

Jurgen Kolkman

Jun 2, 2016, 2:38:17 PM6/2/16
to opensport
Hi Gerald,