The orkut client library is out!

Prashant (Google)

May 25, 2010, 5:35:27 PM5/25/10
to Orkut Developer Forum
Hello everyone,

At long last, we announced the client library we've all been waiting
for: http://bit.ly/orkutlib.

The blog post should be a good introduction to its capabilities. We
expect it'll open up new possibilities for all developers wanting to
extend orkut beyond its web interface. Let us know how you like it!

Cheers,
Prashant

Robson Dantas

May 25, 2010, 6:20:20 PM5/25/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Clamps!

Will allow many developers implementing new features.

Robson Dantas

2010/5/25, Prashant (Google) <p...@google.com>:

Prashant (Google)

May 25, 2010, 8:13:11 PM5/25/10
to orkut Developer Forum
To those who had already been using the earlier tar, lots of things
have changed since then and you may consider upgrading to the latest
bundle from the following link:

http://code.google.com/p/orkut-os-client/downloads/list.

~Prashant

Gautam - The One

May 26, 2010, 3:54:00 AM5/26/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Great!

Eduardo Rocha

May 26, 2010, 3:50:39 PM5/26/10
to orkut Developer Forum
1. I noticed that the Java API is basically a RPC wrapper, am I
correct?
2. Do you plan to publish a RPC guide for 3-legged auth?
3. Aside from the 3-legged auth, how different the RPC protocol is
from the one published in the links below?

http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Core-API-Server.xml
http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Social-API-Server.xml

Thank you.

divakarlasrinivas

May 27, 2010, 4:08:07 AM5/27/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Just read the news about client library and in the end i read a very
nice sentence which says
"if you’re not a Java developer, don’t worry. We’d be thrilled to work
with you to port this library to other languages."

Can you please please port this library to Flash/Flex Actionscript

it would be an awesome!!

Looking forward to hearing from you
thanks

Srinivas Divakarla

On May 27, 12:50 am, Eduardo Rocha <eduardoroch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. I noticed that the Java API is basically a RPC wrapper, am I
> correct?
> 2. Do you plan to publish a RPC guide for 3-legged auth?
> 3. Aside from the 3-legged auth, how different the RPC protocol is
> from the one published in the links below?
>

> http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Core-API-Serv...http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Social-API-Se...

Prashant (Google)

May 28, 2010, 6:51:20 PM5/28/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi Eduardo,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Not at the moment.
3. Currently, orkut is only partially compliant with OpenSocial 1.0;
for the rest, we follow much of 0.9.

~Prashant

On May 26, 12:50 pm, Eduardo Rocha <eduardoroch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. I noticed that the Java API is basically a RPC wrapper, am I
> correct?
> 2. Do you plan to publish a RPC guide for 3-legged auth?
> 3. Aside from the 3-legged auth, how different the RPC protocol is
> from the one published in the links below?
>
> http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Core-API-Serv...http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Social-API-Se...

Prashant (Google)

May 28, 2010, 7:05:29 PM5/28/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi Srinivas,

A very good question.

We currently don't have the engineering bandwidth to handle other
platforms ourselves, but we would be very happy to accept the
contributions of anyone who wishes to port it to other languages. We
don't have a publicly available documentation yet, so I think the best
approach at the moment would be to deconstruct this library and work
it out into the language(s) of your choice. We can rally community
support around platforms that are in high demand and spawn open source
projects where everyone can contribute. Of course, we'll be here to
answer your questions on anything related to the API itself.

I, for one, would personally be very glad to see some of these efforts
sprouting up soon!

~Prashant

On May 27, 1:08 am, divakarlasrinivas <divakarlasrini...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Just read the news about client library and in the end i read a very
> nice sentence which says
> "if you’re not a Java developer, don’t worry. We’d be thrilled to work
> with you to port this library to other languages."
>
> Can you please please port this library to Flash/Flex Actionscript
>
> it would be an awesome!!
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you
> thanks
>
> Srinivas Divakarla
>
> On May 27, 12:50 am, Eduardo Rocha <eduardoroch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > 1. I noticed that the Java API is basically a RPC wrapper, am I
> > correct?
> > 2. Do you plan to publish a RPC guide for 3-legged auth?
> > 3. Aside from the 3-legged auth, how different the RPC protocol is
> > from the one published in the links below?
>
> >http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Core-API-Serv......

Bruno M. V. Souza

May 29, 2010, 10:02:49 AM5/29/10
to orkut Developer Forum
That's nice! =]

dnn

May 31, 2010, 9:41:57 AM5/31/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
How to use that library in .Net application

Robson Dantas

May 31, 2010, 2:04:48 PM5/31/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
This first release is Java only. Great opportunity to help and port it
to .net :)

Robson Dantas
2010/5/31, dnn <dnncla...@gmail.com>:

>> opensocial-ork...@googlegroups.com<opensocial-orkut%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Divakarla Srinivas

May 29, 2010, 12:44:34 AM5/29/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prashant,

It would be really great to Port a library for Flash/AIR/Flex and as I have been working in these technologies i think i should seriously look into it.
But from where to get started,

Cheers,
Divakarla  Srinivas

Harshit Gangal

Jun 2, 2010, 2:28:06 AM6/2/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am new to this developer world. I have tried the Sample Apps, it worked really well, thanks for this great API. Now, I'll be trying to import it into .Net. Everyone's help is needed to make it a success.

Regards
Harshit

harshit

Jun 2, 2010, 3:55:56 PM6/2/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Can someone help me and let me know what are the url's they are using.

Like for userAuthentication
something like this

https://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetRequestToken?oauth_callback=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A1751%2Foauth%2Fcallback&scope=http%3A%2F%2Fsandbox.orkut.gmodules.com%2Fsocial%2Frpc&oauth_consumer_key=<CONSUMER_KEY>&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&oauth_timestamp=1275506818&oauth_nonce=1067869746632&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=2dZdiMIBiBEPcjjBFTFiY6ZXwvI%3D

and any other url further being used or this is sufficient.

and how is this oauth_signature generated.. plz guide me a little.

Reply ASAP, .Net Version is soon too be out.

On Jun 2, 11:28 am, Harshit Gangal <harshit.gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this developer world. I have tried the Sample Apps, it worked
> really well, thanks for this great API. Now, I'll be trying to import it
> into .Net. Everyone's help is needed to make it a success.
>
> Regards
> Harshit

> >> .
>
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-orkut?hl=en.
>
> >  --
> > .

Prashant (Google)

Jun 3, 2010, 9:01:41 AM6/3/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi,

You can use the information found in oauth.properties <http://
code.google.com/p/orkut-os-client/source/browse/java/sample/
oauth.properties> for your setup.

~Prashant

On Jun 3, 12:55 am, harshit <harshit.gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone help me and let me know what are the url's they are using.
>
> Like for userAuthentication
> something like this
>
> https://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetRequestToken?oauth_callback=h...<CONSUMER_KEY>&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&oauth_timestamp=1275506818& oauth_nonce=1067869746632&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=2dZdiMIBiBEPcjj BFTFiY6ZXwvI%3D

harshit

Jun 10, 2010, 8:47:04 AM6/10/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi,

.Net import is completed, not implemented all features but that can
also be imported. There is one issue, the response is JSON , so how to
retrieve data through JSON, i've applied String operations but want to
know how to use JSON on that.

On Jun 3, 6:01 pm, "Prashant (Google)" <p...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You can use the information found in oauth.properties <http://
> code.google.com/p/orkut-os-client/source/browse/java/sample/
> oauth.properties> for your setup.
>
> ~Prashant
>
> On Jun 3, 12:55 am, harshit <harshit.gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Can someone help me and let me know what are the url's they are using.
>
> > Like for userAuthentication
> > something like this
>
> >https://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetRequestToken?oauth_callback=h...<CONSUMER_KEY>&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&oauth_timestamp=12755068 18& oauth_nonce=1067869746632&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=2dZdiMIBiBEPcjj BFTFiY6ZXwvI%3D

Robson Dantas

Jun 10, 2010, 7:32:38 PM6/10/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Is it commited somewhere just to take a look ?

tks

Robson Dantas

Harshit Gangal

Jun 11, 2010, 3:55:30 AM6/11/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
@Robson

I'll make that available once it's flawless.
I've implemented features like
1. Get Profile
2. Status Update
3. Fetch Scraps
4. Delete Scraps
5. Reply Scraps

Wanted to apply JSON on fetch Scrap's Response.

Prashant (Google)

Jun 11, 2010, 5:08:12 AM6/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi,

Do you need parse the JSON? You could use a JSON library to do that –
www.json.org lists many.

~Prashant

On Jun 11, 12:55 pm, Harshit Gangal <harshit.gan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Robson
>
> I'll make that available once it's flawless.
> I've implemented features like
> 1. Get Profile
> 2. Status Update
> 3. Fetch Scraps
> 4. Delete Scraps
> 5. Reply Scraps
>
> Wanted to apply JSON on fetch Scrap's Response.
>
> On 11 June 2010 05:02, Robson Dantas <biu.dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Is it commited somewhere just to take a look ?
>
> > tks
>
> > Robson Dantas
>
> > 2010/6/10 harshit <harshit.gan...@gmail.com>
> >> e...@googlegroups.com>

chaitu

Jun 10, 2010, 7:26:08 AM6/10/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi Prashant,

Thanks for the library which is helping us in good way.
It may be not the correct place but i just need to know does the
library code include
commenting for an activity.

Thanks,
chaitu

Prashant (Google)

Jun 16, 2010, 7:03:03 AM6/16/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi,

This is definitely the right place to talk about it!

But no, can't comment on activities at the moment.

~Prashant

harshit

Jun 27, 2010, 9:15:43 AM6/27/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Where can i upload the .net import of the orkut-oauth

p...@google.com

Jun 28, 2010, 3:31:52 PM6/28/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
I've heard good things about Google's Project Hosting.

Prashant

harshit

Jun 29, 2010, 3:26:42 PM6/29/10
to orkut Developer Forum

chaitu

Jun 29, 2010, 6:00:29 AM6/29/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Thanks Prashanth for the reply.

We hope the activities reply functionality is implemented in near
future.

As i explored the present API i found that few activity types
implementation is missing like
COMMUNITY_JOIN and others. they are just been marked as
GenericActivity without
returning even a text for that except ownerprofile.
Is it true or am i missing anything here for specific activity types.

Thanks,
Chaitu

p...@google.com

Jul 2, 2010, 5:22:45 AM7/2/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Chaitu,

Yes, at the moment GenericActivity is a wrapper for many of the activity types that aren't yet generated by the API server.

Prashant

Paulo Cesar

Aug 10, 2010, 9:56:54 AM8/10/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Anybody knows when the problem described bellow will be fixed?

"When i ran the project, after specifying my Consumer key and Secret,
the Request was made normally, however, the response had problems. The
program ended with an exception as follows, (by the way I did do the
authentication, i.e, logged in to my Orkut account to grant access)

Request:[{"params":{"groupId":"@self","userId":"@me"},"id":"0-
p.g","method":"people.get"},{"params":
{"groupId":"@friends","userId":"@me","count":20,"startIndex":
0},"id":"1-frnds.g","method":"people.get"}]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected
exception while setting response
at
com.google.orkut.client.api.BatchTransaction.setResponse(BatchTransaction.java:
169)
at com.google.orkut.client.sample.Transport.run(Transport.java:104)
at com.google.orkut.client.sample.SampleApp.run(SampleApp.java:57)
at com.google.orkut.client.sample.SampleApp.main(SampleApp.java:43)
Caused by: org.json.me.JSONException: A JSONArray text must start with
'[' at character 0 of
at org.json.me.JSONTokener.syntaxError(JSONTokener.java:448)
at org.json.me.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:106)
at org.json.me.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:145)
at
com.google.orkut.client.api.BatchTransaction.setResponse(BatchTransaction.java:
159)
... 3 more"

I can't run even the simplest samples, can anyone help me on this?

Robson Dantas

Aug 10, 2010, 5:41:49 PM8/10/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Paulo,

Open a bug on the library website. I'm getting several authentication problems, and it was reported before.

Basically, there are two different problems:

1- When you try to authenticate and orkut returns an invalid base string authentication. It happens on my lib, googleoauth playground and also on java lib;

2- When "authenticated", orkut refuses the access token, returning an invalid token;

When was testing java lib, these errors were responsible for raising exceptions.

Regards

Robson Dantas

Paulo Cesar

Aug 11, 2010, 9:19:16 AM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
I don't think it's an authentication problem. Please see this part of
the error:

Caused by: org.json.me.JSONException: A JSONArray text must start with
'[' at character 0 of
[java] at org.json.me.JSONTokener.syntaxError(JSONTokener.java:
448)
[java] at org.json.me.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:106)
[java] at org.json.me.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:145)
[java] ... 30 more
[java] --- Nested Exception ---

It seems that it can authenticate successfully, but the JSON response
is empty. Is my application being blocked?

Here's my oauth file:

# enter the consumer key and secret here
consumerKey=**myconsumerkey**
consumerSecret=**mysecret**
accessUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetAccessToken
authorizationUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthAuthorizeToken
requestUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetRequestToken
saveAccessToken=true
scope=http\://orkut.gmodules.com/social
serverUrl=http\://www.orkut.com/social/rpc

Is anything wrong with it?

On Aug 10, 6:41 pm, Robson Dantas <biu.dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paulo,
>
> Open a bug on the library website. I'm getting several authentication
> problems, and it was reported before.
>
> Basically, there are two different problems:
>
> 1- When you try to authenticate and orkut returns an invalid base string
> authentication. It happens on my lib, googleoauth playground and also on
> java lib;
>
> 2- When "authenticated", orkut refuses the access token, returning an
> invalid token;
>
> When was testing java lib, these errors were responsible for raising
> exceptions.
>
> Regards
>
> Robson Dantas
>
> 2010/8/10 Paulo Cesar <pueloce...@gmail.com>
> > opensocial-ork...@googlegroups.com<opensocial-orkut%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Prashant (Google)

Aug 11, 2010, 9:26:38 AM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Hi Paulo,

Replying publicly to your private mail, so we can discuss this with
everyone...

So is this happening when you're trying to authenticate for the first
time, when you haven't yet got back the accessToken (because I don't
see it set in the oauth properties)? Are you running the sample
directly from the command line (ant run-sample?) or using an IDE?

And no, we won't block your consumer key without reason.

~Prashant
> > > opensocial-ork...@googlegroups.com<opensocial-orkut%2Bunsubscrib e...@googlegroups.com>

Paulo Cesar

Aug 11, 2010, 10:20:41 AM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Ah no, this oauth file is from before running "ant run-sample". When I
run it, it opens a browser window, I click on grant access to
fabricialeme.com and then the error message appears on terminal.

Here is the oauth file after running the sample:

#writing access Token
#Wed Aug 11 10:32:28 BRT 2010
accessUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetAccessToken
consumerSecret=RLGge***********************
serverUrl=http\://www.orkut.com/social/rpc
token_secret=DNzeRk367L**********
requestUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthGetRequestToken
accessToken=1/UX72lWGE-3SJyq4**************************************
saveAccessToken=true
consumerKey=fabricialeme.com
authorizationUrl=https\://www.google.com/accounts/OAuthAuthorizeToken
scope=http\://orkut.gmodules.com/social

By the way, thanks for the help!

Robson Dantas

Aug 11, 2010, 1:26:36 PM8/11/10
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paulo,

Got one issue when developing my lib, with an invalid json response from orkut too.

Go to the line 298, and see what i've done. Probably this is the same problem.

Can you debug the code to check Orkut response?

-Robson Dantas

Paulo Cesar

Aug 11, 2010, 1:37:36 PM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Yeah, the first thing I thought was to debug the samples to understand
how that JSONs are arriving for me.. The problem is I have very little
experience on Java development, and I'm having a bad time figuring out
how to run that code inside an IDE so I can debug it...

Well, I think I'll loose this afternoon learning that then, and trying
to code a workaround for the problem. If I manage to debug it, I'll
post here more details about the problem.

Thanks, bye

On Aug 11, 2:26 pm, Robson Dantas <biu.dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paulo,
>
> Got one issue when developing my lib, with an invalid json response from
> orkut too.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/orkut-os-client-php/source/browse/trunk/lib/...
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/orkut-os-client-php/source/browse/trunk/lib/...>Go
> to the line 298, and see what i've done. Probably this is the same problem.
>
> Can you debug the code to check Orkut response?
>
> -Robson Dantas
>
> 2010/8/11 Paulo Cesar <pueloce...@gmail.com>
> > e...@googlegroups.com>

Paulo Cesar

Aug 11, 2010, 3:18:28 PM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
Ok, now that I'm debugging it, I found the real problem... I'm getting
Error 411:

"HTTP response => HTTP/1.0 411 Length Required

Server: squid/2.7.STABLE3

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:12:59 GMT

Expires: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:12:59 GMT

Via: 1.0 fw.ctba.cesar.org.br:3128 (squid/2.7.STABLE3)

Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved</TITLE>
<STYLE type="text/css"><!--BODY{background-color:#ffffff;font-
family:verdana,sans-serif}PRE{font-family:sans-serif}--></STYLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>ERROR</H1>
<H2>The requested URL could not be retrieved</H2>
<HR noshade size="1px">
<P>
While trying to process the request:
<PRE>
POST /social/rpc?
oauth_token=**********&amp;oauth_consumer_key=fabricialeme.com&amp;oauth_signature_method=HMAC-
SHA1&amp;oauth_timestamp=1281553979&amp;oauth_nonce=4026785411852&amp;oauth_version=1.0&amp;oauth_signature=*****************
HTTP/1.1

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Host: www.orkut.com

Connection: Keep-Alive

Expect: 100 ..."

I saw in another thread that I need to "put the Content-Length header
in your request", but I'm just not sure how to do this on this java
client.. Anyway, I'll continue trying to make it work, but if anyone
knows a solution, please post it here :)

Bye

Paulo Cesar

Aug 11, 2010, 3:36:33 PM8/11/10
to orkut Developer Forum
I'm really sorry for the flood, but I just found a way to fix the 411,
but now I'm getting "net.oauth.OAuthProblemException: HTTP/1.0 417
Expectation failed"

It seems I'm not the only one (http://groups.google.com/group/
opensocial-orkut/browse_thread/thread/806040c98b7c3dbc/
296a7cb908791072), but I found no solution to 417..