OpenSocial showcased at OMA SNEW demo at MWC2013

Laurent-Walter Goix

Feb 17, 2013, 6:48:11 PM2/17/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I'd like to inform you about the OMA SNEW (Social Network Web) demo that will be held as part of the OMA demo day at the upcoming Mobile World Congress 2013 in Barcelona on February 27th. Please see additional information at [1].

As you may recall the Open Mobile Alliance has been defining an enabler for (mobile) social network interoperability, mainly based on OpenSocial and OStatus-related specifications.

Whilst the main scenario is to provide every mobile subscriber with a social timeline (a la FB "wall") and interact with his contacts using their phone number across operators, its design also allows to interact with users on other federated social networks (OStatus-based), and to proprietary social networks via a gateway mechanism.

The demo will showcase interoperability of mobile social networks as well as additional features such as autoconfiguration and addressbook discovery based on mobile number, as well as the triggering of social activities via QR code & NFC.

I wanted to share what is believe is great news for the OpenSocial community and would be happy to meet those of you who will be in Barcelona next week. Please let me know.

For those interested you can find the latest draft of OMA SNEW 1.0 specifications at [2]. Note that this draft is pending IPR issues between OMA and the OpenSocial Foundation and should evolve to reference v2.5.1 before becoming stable.

Walter

[1] http://openmobilealliance.org/event/oma-demo-day-at-mwc-13/

[2] http://member.openmobilealliance.org/ftp/Public_documents/CD/Permanent_documents/OMA-ER-SNeW-V1_0-20121217-D.zip

Ryan Baxter

Feb 18, 2013, 7:49:03 PM2/18/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a video of the demo you could share?

Laurent-Walter Goix

Feb 20, 2013, 6:01:39 PM2/20/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hello ryan,

this is one of our plans to widespread our work. I'll keep you informed about this in the following days.

walter

Laurent-Walter Goix

Mar 19, 2013, 10:09:06 AM3/19/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi ryan, all,

I can finally share with you the story board of the demo at Mobile World Congress that leverages the OMA SNEW (Social Network Web) enabler, based on OpenSocial Social API for the client-server communication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbvNGff2Yk

I hope you'll enjoy this :)

walter

Ryan Baxter

Mar 19, 2013, 9:21:58 PM3/19/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Great demo Walter!  Is any of this using gadgets or are you just using the social APIs?

Laurent-Walter Goix

Mar 21, 2013, 5:01:39 AM3/21/13
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
thanks :)
we're only relying on the social APIs for now. i'd like to use gadgets and enable mobile web apps but so far the osapi.js library only uses the json-rpc binding afaik, and we're using json-rest... anybody interested in porting the lib?

walter