Pending OpenSocial groups structural changes

Arne Roomann-Kurrik

Jan 15, 2010, 3:43:47 PM1/15/10
to OpenSocial - OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
It's been one of my goals to revisit the current OpenSocial groups
structure to see if we can optimize things for the current level of
traffic and support available. This post is to notify you of some
changes coming soon if you visit the groups interface via the web
(email posters should be unaffected):

Splitting groups
The first and biggest change will be that each of the subgroups in the
current forum will be split off into their own individual groups (this
is done mostly for backend reasons). The URLs for each individual
group will continue to be:

Application Development:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-api
Container:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-container
Specification:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec
Community:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-community
Board:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-board

Our intent is to link heavily between the groups, and from
opensocial.org, so that navigating to a specific group should continue
to be easy.

Deprecating the containers group
the group landing page. New posts will be automatically rejected.

Possibly deprecating the community group
on opensocial.org. Naturally, this may be more of a controversial
change, so if you have any feedback, please let me know (by responding
to this thread).

The OpenSocial Application Development, OpenSocial and Gadgets
Specification Discussion, and OpenSocial Board groups will continue to
operate normally. By paring down the unnecessary groups, we're hoping
that it will be easier to follow the discussion around OpenSocial in
the future, and simplify the admin and support tasks of the group
managers.

Please respond to this message if you have any comments or questions.

Cheers,
~Arne