Presentation for Limmud Vancouver

Zev Clementson

Dec 2, 2013, 2:22:11 AM12/2/13
to Open Siddur Project, opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'll be giving a presentation at Limmud Vancouver (http://limmudvancouver.ca) in February. The presentation is "Jewish Texts in the Digital Age". The description for the presentation is:

"With religious observance on the wane, how can traditional Jewish texts be made more relevant, accessible, and usable in the Digital Age? What options are there for using the Web, PCs, iPhones, iPads, and other mobile devices for better understanding, appreciation, and re-mixing of traditional texts with modern usages of these texts? Some examples of innovative uses of technology will be presented."

I have examples of innovative usages of Jewish texts for both religious and non-religious purposes. I'll be mentioning both opensiddur and sefaria in the presentation as well as a number of other web and mobile device applications. I would appreciate any suggestions/examples of innovative usages that I can include in my presentation.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Chag Sameach,
Ze'ev Clementson

Hinda Tzivia Eisen

Dec 2, 2013, 7:09:22 AM12/2/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, bere...@gmail.com
Zev,

I'm not sure whether this is relevant to what you're talking about or a tangent, but I would make mention of the archives that give us access to texts we've only heard about (http://hebrewbooks.org/ comes to mind). As a musician, there are even more exciting resources online in archives of old books of chazzanut and Jewish music compositions, and many of the "lost compositions" are coming back into the performance of Jewish music that never would have been accessible to us without massive internet archives from all around the world. For examples, feel free to peruse my website: http://hindatze.com/cantorial-resources/

Best of luck,
Hinda

--
Content posted to this group is the copyright of its author(s) and presumed to be licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license, unless another license is indicated. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
---

Ze'ev Clementson

Dec 2, 2013, 11:17:19 AM12/2/13
to Hinda Tzivia Eisen, opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hinda,

Thank you for the links!

Ze'ev
--
Ze'ev

Marc Stober

Dec 3, 2013, 8:05:18 AM12/3/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, Open Siddur Project, opensid...@googlegroups.com
I'm doing at similar talk at LimmudBoston this Sunday. I'll post a copy of the presentation when it's done. I'll also forward you some resources Aharon, Efraim and Brett sent me.

- Marc

Zev Clementson

Dec 3, 2013, 10:33:35 AM12/3/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com, opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

Thanks. Aharon already sent me the presentation that he forwarded to you. I'll look forward to seeing your Limmud presentation.

Ze'ev