Prayer Song Database?

WikiTorah

Dec 23, 2013, 2:05:43 PM12/23/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
I was pining for a database that categorizes tunes and songs for every Psalm, verse and piyut in the siddur.

I want to be able to go through my son's simple siddur from school and match each prayer with a contemporary Israeli rocker's interpretation, for example.

Anything close to this exist? Any good tools for rigging this up in a manner that would be helpful to other as well?

Hinda Tzivia Eisen

Dec 23, 2013, 2:20:56 PM12/23/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an amazing idea! http://www.piyut.org.il/ is similar to what you're talking about but not quite. Aside from simple google searching I don't know that there is a good place. Because what you're talking about involves things that are still under copyright, it probably makes sense to assemble this kind of thing as a database rather than as a set of recordings. That being said, there are many resources also on http://www.oysongs.com/ that might be helpful to you.

Hinda
--
Hinda Tzivia Eisen
hi...@eisen.us

Dec 23, 2013, 2:41:21 PM12/23/13
to opensiddur-talk
Ethan Merlin was given a grant by the National Havurah Institute to create something like this. I'll ping him as to our discussion here so I hope he can respond directly.

I think there's a ton of material uploaded to Youtube (with the Youtube standard license and not the Creative Commons attribution license, alas). The copyright issue remains an issue here too. I'd like to see more content like this uploaded to Soundcloud which also offers a CC attribution license. Romemu in NYC has been using Soundcloud extensively but as a paid hosting/storage service, it's too expensive to use for a project like ours right now... (hint, hint: <http://www.razoo.com/story/Opensiddurproject>).

I think it'd be wonderful for a siddur to basically have a QR code as marginalia annotation that links over to a relevant database of material. I certainly want to see that in the next five years. It's hard for me to think of a better use of QR codes, actually.

Aharon

--
Aharon Varady, M.C.P., M.A. J.Ed.
Environmental Educator, Public Domain Advocate, Community Planner

Read my latest essay on the values underpinning an economy for sharing creativity in Torah.

Virginia Spatz

Dec 24, 2013, 8:05:35 PM12/24/13
to opensid...@googlegroups.com
Not terribly user-friendly, but there are two large archives of Jewish music, including liturgical:

http://faujsa.fau.edu/jsa/home.php

and

http://www.milkenarchive.org/

They're not all that easy to search, IMO, because you'll get 17 hits with the same tune by different cantors/groups, or sometimes the same version on different albums.... and, as Aharon mentioned, not Creative Commons. But they're amazing anyway.

This is also useful for liturgy
http://www.virtualcantor.com/

I will look forward to seeing what Ethan develops.

Virginia Spatz

Aharon Varady

Jan 1, 2014, 6:28:24 PM1/1/14
to opensiddur-talk
Forwarding this for Ethan:

Hi all--

Aharon looped me into this discussion.  I'd love to hear directly (ethanmerlin at gmail dot com) from anyone with ideas for the project or resources to support it.  Here is a description of the project.

Online Menu of Melody Selections for Spirited Service-Leading

To lead a service with spirited singing -- as is the norm in many NHC constituent communities -- the davening leader must be proficient not only in nusach (the repetitive chant classically used to lead) but also melody. While theoretically any portion of the liturgy can be set to a melody, in practice there are certain sections which davening leaders tend to set to melodies, either because these texts are metered/poetic (e.g. Eil Adon; Lecha Dodi) or because they are high-points in the arc of the service (e.g. Kedusha). With NHC support, I will be leading a team of folks who will create an online "menu" of melody selections for the portions of the liturgy most often set to melody, so that those preparing to lead davening anywhere could easily listen to, say, twenty options for how one might set Eil Adon to a melody. The site will be a constantly evolving one, to which people in other communities in other cities with a similar interest in spirited, songful davening will add content as a way of spreading effective pairings of text and melody.

Many thanks,
Ethan