For Simchat Torah: Onkelos & Rashi on Parashot Bereshit, Noah, Lekh-Lekha

Seth (Avi) Kadish

Oct 4, 2015, 7:17:48 AM10/4/15
to opensiddur-talk
Two new digital online texts available on time for Simchat Torah (so far covering Parashot Bereshit, Noah, Lekh-Lekha):

A. Targum Onkelos on the Torah, punctuated and vowelized (menuqad) according to the Yemenite tradition.

For those who are not familiar, the Jews of Yemen are the only Jewish community in the world to have preserved an accurate, live tradition for the public reading of Targum Onkelos in the synagogue (as was done in Talmudic times). This makes their vocalization the only realistic basis for niqqud in the Targum. In all other versions (such as that published in the old common versions of the Mikraot Gedolot) the niqqud is not based on a live tradition of vocalization and is thus of little or no value. That is why a great many of the high-quality חומשים that are published today with Onkelos base their texts on the Yemenite tradition, among them: Mikraot Gedolot Torah Hayyim (Mosad Harav Kuk), Mikraot Mikraot Gedolot ha-Keter (Bar-Ilan), Humash Simanim (Feldheim), and the new Humash Koren.

The is the first time that the Yemenite version of Onkelos is available in digital form under a free license. The work of carefully proofreading the text with niqqud has been done by Ely Levy, a volunteer contributor.

B. Rashi's commentary on Parashot Bereshit, Noah, and Lekh Lekha in an online learner's edition.

The commentary is fully vowelized (menuqad) and carefully punctuated with an eye towards facilitating comprehension and online study, plus there are direct links to Rashi's citations and sources. The text is based on the Hebrew that appears in the Silbermann Chumash, which is itself based on the Berliner edition, but Silbermann's Hebrew text has been heavily edited to make it user-friendly, especially in terms of niqqud and punctuation.

The three parashot of Rashi (Bereshit, Noah, Lekh-Lekha) are dedicated to the memory of Rabbi Eitam and Naama Henkin. May God avenge their murders by bringing salvation and victory, peace and honor to His people Israel.

Ely and I plan to try to add new parashot of Onkelos and Rashi week-by-week throughout the coming year.

Chag Sameakh to all!

Seth (Avi) Kadish

Dec 30, 2015, 3:13:22 AM12/30/15
to opensiddur-talk
The title pages for Onkelos and Rashi on the Torah have since moved, and these texts are now via the following two links (which also show how much progress has been made):

In the end most of my time this year is being used to finish Onkelos, because I have a volunteer partner to work with on that project who is doing the difficult work of fully proofreading the detailed text with niqqud. So far we have stayed ahead of the Parashat ha-Shavua and hope, God willing, to finish the full text of Onkelos this year. We are both gratified that our edition of the Targum has been incorporated within the online Mikraot Gedolot Al ha-Torah.

I wasn't able to keep up week by week with both Onkelos and Rashi. Rashi in particular is extremely complicated to edit and takes a lot of careful work. But Rashi on the first half of Sefer Bereshit is already fully finished, and since then I have been completing Rashi on the first chapter of each parashah, staying ahead of Parashat ha-Shavua. I hope to finish Rashi on the Torah in a second run next year.

Avi