Request for Help, Proofreading the Books of Chronicles

Aharon Varady

Apr 15, 2010, 6:02:25 PM4/15/10
to Open Siddur Project Talk, Open Siddur Project Announce
Friends,

I have some exciting news to share Open Siddur Project recently completed transcribing an important Jewish translation of the Book of Psalms! We've made this important Jewish translation of Psalms available as a free text without any restrictive terms of use.

We're not slowing down. We've already started transcribing and proofreading דברי הימים (Divrei Hayamim, 1 & 2 Chronicles) and we'd like your help.

We're looking for volunteers to follow our encoding rules and pick a page to edit. Our transcription rules are here: http://wiki.jewishliturgy.org/Transcribing_the_1917_JPS#Transcription_Rules and our list of available pages to edit are here http://wiki.jewishliturgy.org/Category:Transcribe-open . (You'll need to register and login to the wiki to make any edits.)

Most of the Siddur in all of its many variations is based on texts from the TaNaKh. For this reason, we're particularly interested in adding Jewish translations of the TaNaKh into our public database. The Open Siddur Project is in partnership with the Internet Sacred Texts Archive to create a free digital version of the Jewish Publication Society's English translation of the TaNaKh (1917), a work in the public domain. This is a necessary first step to making the text available for everyone to revise and update into a more modern text suitable for Open Siddur users crafting their own English-Hebrew Siddurim, educators, and other innovative educational projects.

The Open Siddur is committed to providing Jewish liturgical material in as many languages as Jews speak or have ever spoken with standard free culture licenses. It's an ambitious project that wouldn't be possible without your contribution and volunteer involvement. If you have material you'd like to contribute or know others interested in this project, please forward this message.

ברכות,
Aharon Varady
Founder
The Open Siddur Project