Avodat She'Balev: Post-Sandy Relief Efforts

Aharon Varady

Oct 31, 2012, 10:48:53 AM10/31/12
to opensiddur-talk, opensiddur-announce
Friends,

Some of us are familiar with praying with the matbeach (the arrangement of prayers), others with their hands and feet, and still others with their wallet. In truth, we must pray with all our mind, with all that animates us, and with all our being. This is the Avodat She'balev (the work/worship of the heart).

See below for important post-Sandy relief work you can do today. This is important.

If you're in proximity to lower Manhattan and have the wherewithal, consider helping CAAAV:
http://www.ourchinatown.org/2012/10/30/community-driven-recovery-caaavs-call-for-help-for-residents-left-in-the-dark/

If you're in the UWS, Debra Fricano writes: "There's an evacuation shelter at 118 W 93rd Street (between Amsterdam and Columbus). They need adult volunteers for a 6hour minimum shift. No special skills required - anyone want to join me?"

Meanwhile, Uri L'Tzedek is checking in on elderly residents and distributing resources. Keep up with their efforts at: https://www.facebook.com/uriltzedek

Occupy Judaism adds,

HOW YOU CAN HELP NYC RIGHT NOW

1. Donate blood -- Call 800-933-BLOOD to find an open location near you

2. Sign up to volunteer with recovery efforts -- Email nycse...@cityhall.nyc.gov with your name, email address and borough or register with NY Cares http://newyorkcares.org/volunteer/disaster/

3. Help people in your neighborhood -- Keep an eye on https://lowereastside.recovers.org/ for immediate needs in lower Manhattan

4. Donate to the Red Cross -- Text REDCROSS to 9099 to send $10 right now

5. Donate to the Food Bank of NY -- Go to http://www.foodbanknyc.org/how-you-can-help to send money or food

6. Donate to or volunteer with your neighborhood Food Not Bombs -- http://www.foodnotbombs.net/relief.html

7. Follow #SandyVolunteer on Twitter to keep track of emergent needs

More info on how to help is at:
http://gothamist.com/2012/10/30/heres_how_to_volunteer_time_money_t.php