Invitation to Contribute Prayers and Art with the Open Siddur Project

Aharon Varady

Dec 26, 2010, 9:59:39 PM12/26/10
to Open Siddur Project
Chevre,

It's near the end of the Gregorian year 2010 and if you're like me, you've probably been inundated by a 100 e-mails from worthy causes requesting tzedakah, a donation of money.

The Open Siddur Project is asking for something different. We're asking for your creativity. We're asking you to share it.

We're asking you to share a prayer you've written. A kavanah (intention) you've composed. A tekhina (petitionary prayer) you once wrote. A berakha (blessing) you created. A translation of text in the Siddur you felt inspired to make. Instructions for spiritual exercises or choreography. Commentary. Artwork. In any language Jews speak or have ever spoken.

We're asking you to share these prayers with others with the holy intention that others may adopt and adapt this work for their use and circumstance.

We will help you preserve this intention by licensing the work with a Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike license, legally ensuring that you receive credit -- attribution -- for your work, even as it my be adapted into new derivative works by others. These derivative works are required by this license to be similarly licensed, thus preserving a chain of attribution.

Please don't let your work be lost in obscurity. Share it with other congregations, minyanim, and inquiring souls from all around the world. Please share them.

Think of the Open Siddur Project like a G'makh (גמ׳׳ח) -- a free loan society. G'makh is a Hebrew acronym that stands for Gmilut Ḥasadim (גמילות חסדים) -- Acts of Lovingkindness. G'makhim (plural for g'makh) were incredibly important institutions which helped to sustain Jewish communal existence.

The Open Siddur Project is a G'makh for tefillot -- for prayers. Together we can create a sanctuary for a vibrant Jewish spirituality grounded in our living creative expressions, just as the work we've inherited was itself inspired and shared for our use.

Please contribute today: http://opensiddur.org/contribute/upload/

For more information, please visit the Open Siddur Project.

Thank you.

Aharon Varady
Founder
The Open Siddur Project