OpenSearchlight: a JavaScript OpenSearch client library

Ian Truslove

Nov 26, 2012, 5:20:19 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I just wanted to highlight that we (at the National Snow and Ice Data Center) have released a JS library that provides an API around OpenSearch services.  It's still in 0.x release status, but it is fully functional.  Point it at an OSDD, specify template parameter replacements and content type, and provide a callback to get the results.

Hope this is of use to you. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or see any bugs.

-Ian.

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)

Nov 26, 2012, 5:27:10 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Cool!  Does it also support the draft Time and Spatial extensions to OpenSearch?

Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Ian Truslove

Nov 26, 2012, 5:52:23 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, in a simplistic way, yes it does.  Some code taken from one of our apps:

query.set("searchTerms", st)
.set("geo:box", osParams.geoBoundingBox.toOpenSearchString())
.set("geo:relation", osParams.osGeoRel)
.set("time:start", osParams.osDtStart)
.set("time:end", osParams.osDtEnd)
By simplistic, I mean "unaware of the semantics of XML namespaces".

-Ian.

DeWitt Clinton

Nov 26, 2012, 5:56:01 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Very cool! How are you working around same-origin policy restrictions?

-DeWitt

Ian Truslove

Nov 26, 2012, 6:04:33 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Hi DeWitt, thanks!

Getting around same-origin isn't an issue for us - our client app is hitting our own data services on the same origin.  Obviously that's not really the most useful; HTML5 CORS is on the todo list in the back of my head, but not done yet.  I'd like to bundle a functional app with the lib source that hits our data services, but there's infrastructure to put in place first.

-Ian

DeWitt Clinton

Nov 26, 2012, 6:16:21 PM11/26/12
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense. And you're right, this could still be very useful for people building webapps against their own search service.

When you have a chance, you may want to link to it from http://www.opensearch.org/Community/OpenSearch_software.

Thanks for contributing it!

-DeWitt