Re: ETCBC4 Hebrew morphology & syntax is now free for non-commercial use

201 skatījums
Pāriet uz pirmo nelasīto ziņojumu

Daniel Owens

nelasīta,
2014. gada 28. nov. 03:15:4728.11.14
uz David Instone-Brewer,David Troidl,Pete Myers,openscri...@googlegroups.com,Jesse Griffin,Darrell Smith,Butrus Damaskus
This is very good news, thank you for sharing it with us. I hope they are able to resolve all questions about legal issues that may result from their association with the German Bible Society. But in any case this is good news for STEP and anyone else wanting to make use of the data. Are you preparing a module for STEP?

Daniel

On 11/27/14 8:15 PM, David Instone-Brewer wrote:
Dear David & Daniel (and other OpenScripture friends)

I'm forwarding an email (below) about a Hebrew OT morphology which has just become public.
Please note that the email was a response to a personal enquiry and is not an official public statement.

Here's a quick overview of the situation
* ETCBC4 is a database of morphology & syntax for the whole OT developed over the last 4 decades by researchers at Amsterdam's Free University.
* As I understand it, this is an extremely accurate and academically respectable dataset that is arguably better than the Westminster one (though I have not investigated it properly myself)
* This is licenced for use in Logos, Accordance etc, like the rival Westminster Hebrew morphology
* The owners now want to make it freely available. The German Bible Society (who put some seed money into it) were not happy with this
* The Eep Talstra Centre (who have developed ETCBC4) are nevertheless asserting their right to allow free distribution of this data  (see the email below).

David IB

///   Dr David Instone-Brewer
dib   Senior Research Fellow in Rabbinics and the New Testament
 ^    Tyndale House, 36 Selwyn Gardens, Cambridge, CB3 9BA, UK
\=/   Rabb...@Tyndale.cam.ac.uk      www.TyndaleHouse.com

From: Nathan Bierma < nbie...@calvinseminary.edu>
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [openscriptures-hb] Re: ETCBC4 Hebrew morphology & syntax is now free for non-commercial use
To: openscri...@googlegroups.com
Cc: jag...@gmail.com, nbie...@calvinseminary.edu, dcow...@gmail.com, te...@tyndale.cam.ac.uk, peterdan...@gmail.com , sceptre...@yahoo.com, butrus...@gmail.com

Dear all, our developer has hit some snags while working on integrating the ETCBC parsings into OS' WLC text. He spells them out below. See his python scripts at https://github.com/ctslearning/etcbc2wlc
 and report at http://goo.gl/Tt7G6p

Does anyone have any advice or guidance? Is the attempt to automate this integration viable or should we abandon it?Â

Following Open Scripture's morphology ( http://openscriptures.github.io/morphhb/parsing/HebrewMorphologyCodes.html ), I've written a conversion from ETCBC ( http://shebanq-doc.readthedocs.org/en/latest/features/comments/0_overview.html ). (See https://github.com/ctslearning/etcbc2wlc). This somewhat works. There are quite a few things that WLC has that ETCBC doesn't, or at least I haven't been able to figure out. Here's a list of them:
    • Suffixes. While the suffix is part of the word, there is no parsing information on it whatsoever.
    • Adjective types:Â ordinal number.
    • Pronoun types: indefinite, relative.
    • Participle types: affirmation, exhortation, demonstrative, direct object, relative.
    • Hebrew verb stems:Â polel, polal, hithpolel, poel, poal, palel, pulal, qal passive, pilpel, polpal, hithpalpel, nithpael, pealal, pilel, hothpaal, tiphil, hishtaphel, nithpalel, nithpoel, hithpoel.
    After building that conversion, I wanted to test it out, so since Open Scriptures has Ruth's morphology, I ran tests against it. Attached is a Apple Numbers file with the results. (See http://goo.gl/Tt7G6p ). This brought up more specifications that Open Scriptures didn't include, such as lemmas having a plus sign to designate two words that are artificially separated for lexical purposes. There was one of these that wasn't even marked. There was also a variant that the BHS/ETCBC used but WLC didn't, and this wasn't documented in the Appendix you provided (× Ö·×œ in Ruth 3:17). Needless to say, I was able to get nearly all the words to line up (column D), but these inconsistencies made that pretty hard. And this was just with four chapters. I can't image how this might go down for the 150 chapters in Psalms, for example.Â

    But even after getting most of the words to line up, there are still quite a few variances between Open Scripture's morph and what my script determines. I'm not saying it's perfect, but even the places where it's clearly working, the ETCBC data itself differs. Sometimes OS has info that the ETCBC doesn't (Row 5). Other times the part of speech is different (Row 19), other times the gender differs (Row 61). And I'm not fresh enough on my Hebrew to look at the actual word and know which is right.

    All this to say, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll be able to completely automate this. The ETCBC is complete, and we even have a working morphology converter (however imperfect), but if I can't get the words (Column D) or the morphology (Column G) to match up 100% for Ruth's for chapters, converting the entire Old Testament isn't in our grasp yet.Â
    ---

    On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Nathan Bierma <nbie...@calvinseminary.edu> wrote:
    A follow-up about the BHS question. David I-B says there's no need to use BHS since the Open Scriptures text (which is WLC-based, correct?) is superior. I agree, but I and our contract developer want to integrate the DANS/ETCBC parsings with our WLC/OS html files, and the developer is asking about discrepancies between the source and target versions and whether this would work. So two questions.

    First, can we generate new html files from the ETCBC data, basically using this script:

    http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ETCBC/laf-fabric-nbs/blob/master/text/plain.ipynb#Verse-list

    Or would those essentially be BHS files and run afoul of permissions?Â

    Second, if we attempt to integrate ETCBC parsings with our existing WLC/OS files instead, will we encounter significant discrepancies? I'd always heard that discrepancies between BHS and WLC were negligible but I don't know for sure.Â

[...]

    ),

    Nathan Bierma
    Educational Technologist
    Interim Associate Director, Distance Education
    Calvin Theological Seminary

    Nathan Bierma
    Educational Technologist
    Interim Associate Director, Distance Education
    Calvin Theological Seminary

    Jesse Griffin

    nelasīta,
    2015. gada 28. janv. 17:32:3328.01.15
    uz Nathan Bierma,David Instone-Brewer,openscri...@googlegroups.com
    Hello,

    I likewise wish I had more time to look at this.

    If I understand the issue correctly, perhaps a more fool-proof method would be to iterate through the words in a given version (whichever one is simpler), strip the vowels and then attempt to pull that same word out of the other version.  If you are moving verse by verse then this method should get you a correct match of the words every time.  Then you could use the original words (with vowels and cantillation) in each of the sources to lookup the parsing for that term and add them to your unified output.  You will still have the mismatches in parsing data, but I think this method would be more effectively at lining up the words.

    I also think that using http://www.nltk.org/ might be helpful, but again, I haven't had time to dive into NLTK yet.

    Thank you,
    Jesse Griffin

    Nathan Bierma

    nelasīta,
    2015. gada 29. janv. 10:59:4829.01.15
    uz Jesse Griffin,David Instone-Brewer,openscri...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks Jesse. A reply from our developer:

    -----
    This is actually what the Ruth export does already. But even using that approach, the four chapters of Ruth turned up several mismatches. So yes, it's pretty effective, but not 100% which is what we'd need for a machine import.

    David Troidl

    nelasīta,
    2015. gada 29. janv. 17:04:4529.01.15
    uz Nathan Bierma,Jesse Griffin,David Instone-Brewer,openscri...@googlegroups.com
    A few comments from my experience matching texts in the past, especially the MapM with the OSHB.  I start by matching the versification, to make sure the verses are matching properly.  Then I compare word counts for each verse.  In cases of a mismatch, the words can be mapped to the proper ones.  All these hand editing steps prove to be reasonably moderate to handle.  Then I compare the individual words in three forms.  If the words match, everything is fine.  If I remove the cantillation and they match, I record the difference.  This is more common than actual word discrepancies.  Then I compare the consonantal forms, if the vowel forms don't match, and record differences here.

    Once you have the words corresponding in the two texts, the morphology can be transfered over.  In writing the morphology in OSHB form, use "x" for missing or unknown values, rather than "?".  The results may not be a perfect parsing of the text, but should be usable.

    Peace,

    David

    Teus Benschop

    nelasīta,