Natively Supported Protocols in openSCADA

btr...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2014, 12:18:56 PM4/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello-

I'm working on a research project in which I need multiple instances of a SCADA system at the same time. Given this, I cannot use some of the other SCADA system software I have access to and familiarity with (Wonderware, ClearSCADA, WinCC, etc) because of licensing issues. So, I'm looking into leveraging openSCADA.

I need to be able to talk to ModbusTCP, DNP3 (over TCP), and IEC 60870-5-104 slave devices, and I'd prefer to do it w/out an OPC server in the mix (I'm trying to avoid having to deploy Windows machines). From reading through the openSCADA website and some of the demos/examples I can see that ModbusTCP is natively supported. Any chance DNP3 and/or 60870 are natively supported?

If not, can someone point me to a good starting point on adding support for these protocols to the project?

Please advise. Thanks for a great open source project!

-BTR

Jürgen Rose

Apr 14, 2014, 2:29:50 AM4/14/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

Can you tell us a bit more of what are you trying to achieve? If you'd rather don't want to do it publicly, you may also write directly to me (juerge...@ibh-systems.com)

Historically Eclipse SCADA/openSCADA was developed to connect to a variety of, mostly proprietary, devices with proprietary protocols, so the focus was on ease development of new adapters. Since some time we started to support more industry standard protocols. From the start we integrated OPC DA 2.0. Over the time we added support for the Siemens S7 PLC and last year we rewrote the modbus implementation. We just started with implementing IEC-60870-5-104, so there will be something usable in lets say around 8 weeks, although we are focusing of implementing the slave side first. As of now DNP3 is not supported, and we don't have it on our agenda in the near future. That might change quickly if we have a business case for it (its actually not that unlikely that this happens).

Unfortunately I can't give you a good starting point for integrating new protocols. For developing a simple adapter there is a tiny example in the tutorial: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseSCADA/Tutorials/EclipseMagazin#A_simple_driver

For the more advanced equinox based drivers I can only point you to the source code, and there have a look at the modbus implementation. At the moment for the documentation (http://book.openscada.org) we focus on the user side and not so much the developer part.

Anyway, if you are seriously interested in contributing any protocol adapters, we are all ears. Just contact us directly and lets discuss it. Although for the Eclipse SCADA project we are bound by the strict terms of the Eclipse foundation, in the openSCADA project we are more free to provide adapters which might also reuse existing libraries with more problematic licensing terms (GPL w. CP exception, LGPL, ...)

Jürgen