Having OPC/DCOM connection problem 0x80070005 when trying to connect to remote Windows 7 computer on my network

Ohad Ab

Mar 7, 2018, 10:23:56 AM3/7/18
to openSCADA
Hi all.
I hope someone can help because i'm frustrated.
I'm trying to develop OPC-Da client using the UtGard package.
I have two OPC servers running, one on  virtual machine (windows 7 pro) on my PC and the other on a remote windows 7 pro PC on my network.

I went through all the sites i found for configuring Security policy/component Services /Users and groups , opened everything  and also turned Firewall off.

For some reason i'm successfully creating OPC client connection using UtGard to my Virtual Machine and everything works o.k.
But when i try the same code to connect to the remote PC i get error code 80070005 from the j-interop(COM) package.
I tried testing the DCOM connetion using : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/259011/sample-a-simple-dcom-client-server-test-application - and it successfully connects to the remote PC.

I also tested the connection from my PC using OPC clients like Matrikon,ProSys and OPC Quick Client and they succeed in creating a connection and connecting to the servers i have on the remote PC.
so i'm baffled.

Can anyone help?!
I will be most thankful.
Ohad

Jens Reimann

Mar 9, 2018, 3:46:29 AM3/9/18
to openSCADA
So the error is access denied. The remote Windows rejects your communication. Looks like you are missing something.

Maybe it is a domain user. So try using a local user instead. You can try an empty domain in the field, or the local hostname.

Maybe it is also is a Windows "Home" edition, which doesn't work either. Maybe some security policies.

Ohad Ab

Mar 9, 2018, 4:33:33 AM3/9/18
to openSCADA
Jens, thanks for the reply.
Both my pc and the remote Pc are on the local work network. So i don't use domain.
The remote pc is windows 7 professional.
I configured the same security both on my VM xp and on the windows 7 remote pc, so i don't understand why I'm successfuly connecting to the Opc server on the vm but not to the remote win7 pc.
I removed and opened all configuration security and user permissions to everyone and anonymous users.
In both servers i'm not using neither name,password nor domain. Only host ip.
Is there some spacific issues with windows 7 that can cause this? Some unique configuration?
Thanks

Jens Reimann

Mar 9, 2018, 5:22:29 AM3/9/18
to openSCADA
Just because the machines are on the same networks doesn't necessarily mean the don't use domains!

> In both servers i'm not using neither name,password nor domain.

So that is most likely the problem. Without username, password and domain field (an this may be the local hostname or an empty string IIRC) the authentication will not work and you will not be able to access the service.

Ohad Ab

Mar 11, 2018, 4:38:13 AM3/11/18
to openSCADA
O.k
what i meant was, that they both have the same local network domain and adding that to the code does not make any difference. I still get the error code.
is there any other help advice you can give me?
thanks

Ohad Ab

Mar 11, 2018, 4:51:41 AM3/11/18
to openSCADA
Hi.
Nevermind the last post.
I found the problem.
It Turns out that because administrator account on remote PC did not have password defined, The J-Interop could not create a connection (although i allowed anonymous users).
I defined a password entered it in the connection information and the connection was established successfully.
Hope this helps somebody.
Thanks.
Ohad

Vishnu Patel

Apr 1, 2020, 8:53:05 AM4/1/20
to openSCADA
Hi
 I have similar problem. In my case opc client connect with opc server, but doesn't exchange data. and gives access denied error.

I have Windows 10 Home edition for my opc client PC and windows 7 professional for OPC server PC.
Is it because of opc client machine having windows 10 Home edition?

Thanks
Vishnu
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to open...@googlegroups.com.