Monitoring uptime for a single app from all its dynos

Tom Buckley-Houston

Feb 10, 2013, 3:29:19 PM2/10/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I've got a working version of uptime monitoring and I was wondering what you thought of the approach;

I had previously considered using the transitioned_at date on the instance_state table, but this just felt like it was too vulnerable to going out of sync, what if an instance doesn't correctly report its state change? So, my approach just seems like the simplest way for a basic working version at the moment. The only problem I can foresee is scalability, perhaps if there are tens of thousands of instances then it might incur a non-trivial load on the database, but even then it doesn't seem too bad, the heartbeat is only once a minute after all.

I looked into it and the UPDATE command is atomic so there shouldn't be any race conditions when multiple instances are sending heartbeats to the same app.

Thanks,
tom :)

Romain

Feb 10, 2013, 4:32:32 PM2/10/13
to Tom Buckley-Houston, openruko
It simple to understand, it's perfect :)

Two things, if you merge it with openruko :
 * could you add some tests?
 * in api server, if you change the schema, create a new file with a new semver version : 0.2.0.do.app.pgsql for exemple

ALTER TABLE app ADD COLUMN heartbeats integer;
And in the package.json update the version to 0.2.0
It will simplify db migrations.

Great feature, it's nice to see it implemented ;)

Tom Buckley-Houston

Feb 12, 2013, 10:34:54 AM2/12/13
to open...@googlegroups.com, Tom Buckley-Houston
Thanks Romain :D

I will definitely write tests and add the migration, yes :)

First I will merge your dibigrator work on apiserver and all the changes we've been making to chef-openruko into slotbox.

tom :)