OpenRuko reverse proxy with Hipache

Florian Traverse

Dec 11, 2012, 4:44:01 AM12/11/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

I'm working on adding a reverse proxy using Hipache ( https://github.com/dotcloud/hipache ) to openruko in order to complete the stack and provide high availability. The only missing features of hipache are :
  • reporting idle instances
  • redirect to configuration 40x / 50x error pages if setted
All we need to do is add redis to openruko, and report app domains, etc. into redis rather than in postgre (or in both of them ?) we can then listen to dead instances thanks to redis pubsub, then it should work like a charm.

What do you think ? How should we handle hipache modification ? a maintained openruko forked ? try to put what is necessary into hipache ? just add request events in redis pubsub, and add a listener program to emit idle events ? add an "in redis" configuration for 40x/50x pages ?

Cheers,
Florian

Paul Bowsher

Dec 11, 2012, 5:05:33 AM12/11/12
to Florian Traverse, open...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like great work, and I'm all for adding Redis as a dependency. One feature of the full stack is HTTP caching, does hipache support that, or would using Varnish or something else be a good idea?

Paul Bowsher

Florian Traverse

Dec 11, 2012, 5:21:50 AM12/11/12
to Paul Bowsher, open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it supports cache, using lru-cache under the hood : https://github.com/dotcloud/hipache/blob/master/lib/cache.js

Romain

Dec 12, 2012, 5:17:39 PM12/12/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
For those who can not wait for a good reverse proxy solution, here is a quick and dirty version :

Cheers

2012/12/11 Florian Traverse <florian....@gmail.com>

Maxence

Dec 12, 2012, 5:34:53 PM12/12/12
to Romain, openruko
Hi,
this is great start !

It will be very usefull to bench this, to see if it's fast enough to serve several apps.
I am wondering if there is any index on fields 'retired' and 'name' in the openruko_data.instance table ?

Maxence

Florian Traverse

Dec 12, 2012, 6:15:45 PM12/12/12
to Maxence, Romain, openruko
maybe some "memoizee" with a short timeout like 5 seconds could help anyway

2012/12/12 Maxence <max...@maxired.fr>

Romain

Dec 13, 2012, 3:46:58 AM12/13/12
to openruko