OpenREM 0.7.0b5 database error for mysql

Josef Lundman

Sep 21, 2015, 3:56:59 PM9/21/15
to OpenREM
Hello,
I work in Umeå in Sweden and we have just decided to take a look at using OpenREM for some special projects. I therefore started looking into installing it using MySQL (due to specifications on our server).

I've started testing the install on a virtual machine and thought I should try v0.7.0b5. I have found that this version breaks when using MySQL with the error message:

"BLOB/TEXT column 'manufacturer' used in key specification without a key length"

I'm quite new at Django but I seem to have narrowed it down to being a problem with the 'manufacturer' column being used in unique_together in the Meta class for the UniqueEquipmentNames table.

Can you give some advise on how to solve this?

Sincerely,
Josef

Ed McDonagh

Sep 21, 2015, 5:59:46 PM9/21/15
to OpenREM, josef....@gmail.com
Thanks for trying the beta Josef and spotting this - the main developers both use PostgreSQL, so this would have slipped out in the release probably if you hadn't brought it to our attention!

All but one of the fields in UniqueEquipmentNames are text fields, and from what I have read based on your message below is that MySQL can't guarantee uniqueness on fields that are potentially longer than 255 characters.

I've created an issue for this on bitbucket - it might be best to track progress from there. I've proposed two possible solutions there, and I want to get David Platten's opinion on it before we create a solution.

Kind regards, and thanks again.

Ed

Ed McDonagh

Sep 21, 2015, 6:01:44 PM9/21/15
to OpenREM, josef....@gmail.com
Sorry - I had intended to include a link to the issue: Issue 276/unique-fields-cannot-be-unlimited-length