"Butterfly still initializing" message

Edward

Apr 20, 2016, 12:03:51 PM4/20/16
to OpenRefine
Hello all,
I have a quick question about OpenRefine. I believe I installed it properly but may need some insight. My problem is that after installation it seems that the browser won't open automatically. Not that big of an issue, but when I point it to http://127.0.0.1:3333, I get the cycling message "Butterfly is still initializing...". Have tried the exe, using refine.bat gives the open and close of the command prompt.

I feel fairly good I got to this point, not receiving any other error messages. I'm running this from an external memory drive, and have it pointed to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_77. Is the JDK necessary? Or this maybe a network/firewall issue from our IT admins?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom Morris

Apr 20, 2016, 12:48:27 PM4/20/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
The best way to see what errors are happening is to run things from a command window rather than just double clicking on the .exe or .bat files. Open a new command window, navigate to the directory where you've got things installed and run refine.bat. That way you can see whatever errors are occurring.

You don't need a full JDK. The JRE should be good enough.

Tom

p.s. Information about what versions of Refine, operating system, etc would be useful in helping to debug.

Edward

Apr 20, 2016, 3:17:40 PM4/20/16
to OpenRefine
Thanks for the reply. I think I got it figured out as it's working now. I retried with version 2.5 (initially with version 2.6), and is working after multiple successive attempts. My machine is on Windows 7 enterprise, btw.

Andrea Zanni

Aug 18, 2016, 11:01:23 AM8/18/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm trying to install openrefine 2.6 on my new laptop (I use Ubuntu 16.04).
I installed it, but it was saying that Java was missing and I installed
openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
Not sure if it's the right one, but 2 days ago was working and today it does not:
on 127.0.0.1:3333 I get "Butterfly still initializing"...

Do I have to reinstall Java or something?

Andrea

Andrea Zanni

Andrea Zanni

Aug 19, 2016, 4:41:51 AM8/19/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
ok, I think I have solved it:
if the solution persists I will write it here.

raja kumar dash

Oct 18, 2016, 4:12:12 AM10/18/16
to OpenRefine
I've had this happen on several Macs when I've run out of RAM. It might be a heap space issue. If I change the amount of memory used by default and restart Refine, it usually works. I ran into a similar memory issue on my Windows 10 laptop and fixed it this way. I only have had the Butterfly issue on three different Macs (three OS versions)