Hanging on Transformation

Jack Murphy

Jan 4, 2017, 5:39:49 PM1/4/17
to OpenRefine
Hello,
I just started diving into Open Refine in order to clean up and export some data from kaggle.

I'm trying to modify a csv that contains lots of formatting to a TSV with whitespace removed. On small data sets Column -> Edit Cells -> Common -> 'Collapse Consecutive Whitespace' works fine. But on a CSV with 8K rows, it just hangs and never shows up as an action under undo.

Is there a log i can inspect, or any pointers to help me understand what might be occurring?

Thad Guidry

Jan 4, 2017, 7:02:53 PM1/4/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Jack,

When you say it just hangs... is this during initial import of the CSV file into our importer preview ? or after you have loaded it fully into OpenRefine and your trying to use the Edit Cells menu ?

On thing that you might try is to import by LINE based rather than CSV/TSV and then use Split cell into multi-columns by the separator character.

My hunch is that perhaps theirs some encoding issue...so another thing to try is use UTF8 encoding during initial import in OpenRefine, or whatever encoding you think the source dataset is in.

Let us know, we're here to help (Kaggler's especially),
-Thad

Thad Guidry

Jan 4, 2017, 7:04:50 PM1/4/17
to OpenRefine
Oops forgot to mention...there's a trim option on the importer wizard that you can try also instead of doing it after the fact...but that might make it hang even more during import :) but something to try...

Ettore Rizza

Jan 5, 2017, 5:44:21 PM1/5/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Jack,

If it works on a small sample but not on a bigger, maybe are you running out of memory. Make sure you have increased the max RAM (the method varies depending on your OS : https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/FAQ:-Allocate-More-Memory)

If the problem is linked to a lack of memory, you should see something like this on your Open Refine's console.