Import or create project with multi source files

Mario Nolassi

Nov 11, 2016, 11:41:57 AM11/11/16
to OpenRefine
When I create a project with two or more files, at the end of the import, it contains just the info of the first file.
If I choose to import a tar archive with one or more file, I get an error. I show it in the screenshot.

My system is Mac OS X 10.11.6 and OpenRefine 2.6 (git version).
I use OpenRefine on linux with the same errors.
Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 17.30.16.png
Message has been deleted

raja kumar dash

Nov 28, 2016, 6:55:26 PM11/28/16
to OpenRefine
It's not clear from your description what you are working with in terms of files/ data.

E.g., What is your tar archive? Is it a Refine project? You can export a Refine project and then import it to create a duplicate project (which you could then customize, if you want). Each archive is independent. You cannot import multiple projects together. (It wouldn't make any sense to Refine.)

I create multi-file Refine projects regularly. I'm not sure what you have done, but here are a few tips:

1. All the source data files you want to create a Refine project with should be in the same directory/ folder on your computer.
2. The files should have the same "shape" (same columns and headings in the same order)
3. When you select all the files during creation of the Refine project, make sure that the "Import?" checkbox is checked for all files.
4. ... (create Refine project)
5. Once the project is created, create a facet on the filename column and verify that you are getting all your files and no "(blank)" entries. I have had this happen a few times and had to ditch the project and start again.

Now, if you export this new project, it should import okay into a new project. Refine will not consider it being multi-sourced, I don't think. I do this between multiple Mac/ Windows/ Linux computers quite frequently. (The only caveat is that ID value columns sometimes have to be recreated if you are importing a Refine project from one computer to another. It's some weird glitch (already reported) that affects all-digit values originally represented as strings.)

Good luck

Mario Nolassi

Nov 29, 2016, 1:41:49 PM11/29/16
to OpenRefine

Thank for your attention

I create projects with csv files.
I followed your guidelines and now I'm stuck on point number 5.
The error of blank entries happened always.