Recon Service Errors. Any suggestions?

Alex Xu

Jun 23, 2014, 12:33:14 AM6/23/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Hi, All,

Do you meet such an error recently? And if yes, can anyone give me some suggestions?

When I import a file into OpenRefine and create a project, the error message pops up. Actually, I started to use OpenRefine months ago(hook up OpenRefine to one of our project), but I met this problem recently, like, only several days ago.

And also, sometimes a project cannot be saved successfully into local directory (mine is Window OS, and the directory is C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine), or it can be saved, but if OpenRefine service is restarted, the project will be recovered to the initial status (all changes to the project, like edit operations, will be gone). And I guess this may also be related to the Recon Service. But I have no idea how to solve it.

Can anyone share the experience on solving the same issue with me? I appreciate it!

Regards,

Alex Xu

Jun 23, 2014

Thad Guidry

Jun 23, 2014, 10:27:45 AM6/23/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

The freebaseapps.com domain has recently been deprecated by Freebase staff.
So, there is no standard recon service available on Freebase that is publicly available at this time.

We want to have that kind of service available again, as so have dedicated a Github issue towards that, and donated a few hundred dollars towards it:

You are welcome to also throw a few dollars towards that issue in the hopes of getting it resolved.

Regarding your other issue with Project Saves... you can use the Export option to export and save as XLS, CSV, etc to whichever file/folder that you need.
True, OpenRefine on Windows has the default project path under AppData\Roaming as you have found.
You can optionally change that path.  Here is more info on that from our wiki: https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Back-Up-OpenRefine-Data#search_word=Project

Alex Xu

Jun 24, 2014, 10:03:49 AM6/24/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Thad,

Thank you very much for replying so fast! And I'll follow that issue page on Github for sure.

But for the "Project Save" issue, is it because of the unavailable recon service? Or could you please me that if you have the same problem on you local? I appreciate it!

Alex

Thad Guidry

Jun 24, 2014, 11:22:04 AM6/24/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
The  project saving and recon are not related.

You might have some permissions issue with your Users folder if your not logged into Windows as an admin user.

Other than that, you should be able to work with OpenRefine with the default Roaming path.

OpenRefine project files are saved in the OpenRefine workspace, which on Windows is under that Roaming\ path.
OpenRefine can export your project files, and also export to other formats such as XLS, CSV, JSON, etc using the Export menu option in the upper right corner.