RDF extension and future milestones?

olivia solis

Nov 28, 2017, 7:12:37 PM11/28/17
to OpenRefine
Hello all,

I've been paying attention to the upcoming releases of OpenRefine and am very excited for the changes you all have planned. I was wondering if there were any plans to try to maintain the functioning of the RDF Extension, or replace it with something similar. I use it a lot at my job, though I realize it is not maintained. I am a Metadata Coordinator at an archives. I'm slowly honing my programming skills — as are many metadata coordinators with fuzzier histories — but RDF is the future of many digital repositories' metadata. A plugin that lets you structure the RDF skeleton in a GUI like that is great.

Best,
Olivia

Thad Guidry

Nov 28, 2017, 10:54:32 PM11/28/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Yes Olivia, I think we should for now try to help maintain and provide support / backing for the RDF Extension.  Its one of the top 4 OpenRefine extensions used.  And we are aware that many will cry if we don't help support its continued ability to work in OpenRefine, even once we have updated and refreshed our UI (coming in 3.5 or 4.0 milestones).

We cannot commit to anything just yet...but stay tuned and will keep you posted on which extensions will get a bit of financial backing throughout next year 2018 for authors or other contributors.

fadi maali

Nov 29, 2017, 6:02:02 AM11/29/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hello all
I have some time available over the next few days and will work on bringing the RDF extension codebase into a maintainable state so that it is easier for interested people to work with.

Regards,
Fadi
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Thad Guidry

Nov 29, 2017, 9:34:57 AM11/29/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fadi !  Awesome !

Would you be willing to keep it up to date throughout next year as we go through changes and UI enhancements ?  We could probaby finance a portion of that work for the community.

fadi maali

Nov 29, 2017, 9:44:00 AM11/29/17
to OpenRefine
Hello Thad,

Yes. At least it is my plan to keep it up to date next year.
For now, I will focus on making sure the code and the documentation are in a state where more people can contribute and maintain.
Giving the way RDF extension was developed and the way its functionalities grew, it became a very-hard-to-manage beast.. I will fix that :-)

Regards,
Fadi

Ettore Rizza

Nov 29, 2017, 9:48:17 AM11/29/17
to OpenRefine
Great news, Fadi ! In case you missed it, a group forked your code in the idea of updating and maintaining it : https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/1316#issuecomment-347581156

Regards,

Ettore
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openrefine+...@googlegroups.com.

Thad Guidry

Nov 29, 2017, 10:47:09 AM11/29/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Great Fadi !  Let us know how we can help as you move along.

olivia solis

Nov 29, 2017, 8:05:24 PM11/29/17
to OpenRefine
This is all music to my ears. Thank you all!

Peter Backx

Dec 6, 2017, 8:54:06 AM12/6/17
to OpenRefine
I very recently made some minimal changes to the extension so that it would work with OpenRefine 2.8.

Feel free to test it out and if you spot any problems, I have enabled issue tracking so you can file an issue.

The most important thing that the plugin need for easier maintenance is proper dependency management, because right now this is pretty messy.
Some one already did a good effort for OpenRefine 2.7: https://github.com/DTL-FAIRData/orefine-rdf-extension

Peter

fadi maali

Dec 6, 2017, 9:07:18 AM12/6/17
to OpenRefine
Thanks Peter.

I agree that dependencies of the RDF extension grew unwieldy...
Export functionality used OpenRDF because any23 (at least at that time supported only open RDF).
Reconciliation functionality used Jena because jena supported text search with a lucene index.

I am working on this these days have a look at https://github.com/fadmaa/grefine-rdf-extension/tree/nimble-rdf-extension if you are interested.

PRs would be very much appreciated :-)

Regards,
Fadi

Ettore RIZZA

Dec 6, 2017, 9:14:07 AM12/6/17
to openrefine
Thank you very much, Peter.

But unfortunately, it bug always with my version (OR 2.8, Windows 10)

15:09:34.980 [                   refine] Starting OpenRefine 2.8 [TRUNK]... (11ms)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: class java.io.FileNotFoundException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Boulot\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine\cache\rdfExtension\export\luceneIndex\_go_Lucene41_0.tip (Le fichier spécifié est introuvable)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.throwAsScriptRuntimeEx(Context.java:1777)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.MemberBox.invoke(MemberBox.java:183)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaMethod.call(NativeJavaMethod.java:247)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.optimizer.OptRuntime.call1(OptRuntime.java:66)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c4._c4(file:/D:/openrefine-2.8/webapp/extensions/rdf-extension/MOD-INF/controller.js:89)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c4.call(file:/D:/openrefine-2.8/webapp/extensions/rdf-extension/MOD-INF/controller.js)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.ContextFactory.doTopCall(ContextFactory.java:398)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.doTopCall(ScriptRuntime.java:3065)
        at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c4.call(file:/D:/openrefine-2.8/webapp/extensions/rdf-extension/MOD-INF/controller.js)
        at edu.mit.simile.butterfly.ButterflyModuleImpl.scriptInit(ButterflyModuleImpl.java:636)
        at edu.mit.simile.butterfly.ButterflyModuleImpl.init(ButterflyModuleImpl.java:94)
        at edu.mit.simile.butterfly.Butterfly.initializeModule(Butterfly.java:476)
        at edu.mit.simile.butterfly.Butterfly.configure(Butterfly.java:451)
        at edu.mit.simile.butterfly.Butterfly.init(Butterfly.java:308)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:440)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:263)
        at com.google.refine.RefineServer.configure(Refine.java:296)
        at com.google.refine.RefineServer.init(Refine.java:208)
        at com.google.refine.Refine.init(Refine.java:114)
        at com.google.refine.Refine.main(Refine.java:108)

qi

Dec 6, 2017, 2:03:09 PM12/6/17
to OpenRefine
Just tried on Ubuntu. no exception found.

@Ettore Did you follow the procedure from his github readme. Also do a "./refine build" after done the changes he mentioned.

Ettore Rizza

Dec 7, 2017, 2:36:03 AM12/7/17
to OpenRefine
@Jacky Same problem with the development version. But I manage to run Open Refine if I delete first the Lucene index in C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine\cache\rdfExtension

Some reconciliation services set up with the old RDF extension still work, but others (like dbpedia) need to be reconfigured.

I'm going to do more tests, but for now it's encouraging. :)

Peter Backx

Dec 7, 2017, 2:42:25 AM12/7/17
to OpenRefine
@Ettore Good that you figured it out yourself. I would have guessed it was something related to the Lucene index (probably for prefix autocomplete), but had no idea where to look for it.

@Fadi We are currently evaluating whether or not to use OpenRefine (and the RDF extension). It'll be early next year and I can't promise anything, but it would be nice to have some time to help you out.

Peter