Re: Blank cells merging when converting OpenRefine back to XLSX

Message has been deleted

Ettore Rizza

Feb 14, 2018, 1:08:27 PM2/14/18
to OpenRefine
Hi Tanis,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Could you describe it more visually, for example using screenshots or a sample of your Excel data? Thanks !

Le mercredi 14 février 2018 16:48:32 UTC+1, tanisfr...@gmail.com a écrit :
Hi everyone,

So after I've converted my OpenRefine file back to XLSX and it's ready to import, I have to go through it all and section by section to unmerge certain cells across columns. This happened even in rows I didn't merge together in Open Refine so I don't know if the problem is when I convert.

How do I stop it from doing this or, is there a formula I can apply in either OpenRefine or Excel to unmerge all columns?

Thanks!
Tanis

tanisfr...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 2:05:35 PM2/22/18
to OpenRefine
Hi Ettore,

Here is a picture of what happens when I export from OpenRefine into xslx or csv (here I've copied the data into a Google Spreadsheet) - some lines are merged and some are not.

Of course it would be simple enough to format each column the same, but it's a couple steps involved when you have different formats of columns. So it's just a few extra  steps of work I'd like to avoid.

Thanks,
Tanis
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 1.46.30 PM.png

John Little

Feb 23, 2018, 9:36:53 AM2/23/18
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Tanis.

I confess I cannot quite work out a solution from what you've shared so far.  Can export and share your OpenRefine project?  Or recreate a smaller subset with some shareable representative data and share that as an OR project?  The OR project contains a history of your steps as well as the data transformation at each step.  Sharing a project may be the easiest way to explain the steps you've taken, and for others to understand the state of the problem.

How to: Save an OpenRefine Project:
Click the Export button in the top right ; select Export project.
Find the tar.gz file in your default OpenRefine Download directory.
Share it via Google Drive, Drobbox, box, etc.