Lookup a value in multiple columns of another project

ThomasVee

Feb 11, 2018, 12:19:30 PM2/11/18
to OpenRefine
Hi,
 I realise one can lookup a column of values and add matching values from multiple columns in another project. But is there a way to lookup a column against multiple columns in another project and return, one or more values from another project.

My use case is this:

I have a column of placenames in project 1.
I have name, alternatename1, alternatename2...and so on to alternatename133, and latlong columns in project 2

I wish to lookup placenames in project 2, across the name and all alternatename columns and return the latlong value if a match is found in any of these columns.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Ettore Rizza

Feb 12, 2018, 7:51:23 AM2/12/18
to OpenRefine
Hi Thomas,

Sorry for that late reply, I thought someone had answered the question.

The function cell.cross() (equivalent to VLOOKUP in Excel) does not allow a join based on multiple columns. In your particular case, I suggest you transform the alt_labels columns into rows using the "transpose cells across columns into rows" function, and then perform the join.

Here is a screencast demo.

Hope this helps,

Ettore

Thomas Vattakaven

Feb 13, 2018, 11:57:35 AM2/13/18
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ettore.
Thats fantastic. You guys do a stellar job answering every query here.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Biodiversity Data Journal 4: e10279 (07 Nov 2016)