can't get blank down to work?

likesc...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2018, 3:50:44 PM2/9/18
to OpenRefine
I'm trying to blank down a column that is sorted by names, for example:

Sue
Sue
Sue
Sue
Joe
Joe
Billy
Billy
Billy

It gave me 0 cells changed. I thought maybe it was because it was names instead of numbers so I created a new column that changed each person to a number, then I formatted the column as numbers, but I'm still getting 0 cells blanked down. Any ideas why this won't work?

John Little

Feb 9, 2018, 4:35:03 PM2/9/18
to openr...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't able to reproduce the error.  I wonder if there are random spaces in your cells.  That would alter whether cells, which look identical, are actually identical.  You might try the Edit Cells > Common Transformations > Trim leading and trailing whitespace function.

blankdown_test.gif

--John

Ettore Rizza

Feb 9, 2018, 4:36:01 PM2/9/18
to OpenRefine
Hi,

When you click on "sort", Open Refine produces a sorted column view, but in reality it does not sort the column. It's just a simulation. To use Blank Dow, you need to click first on "Sort -> Reorder rows permanently".

Then you can apply the Blank down.

Hope this helps,

Ettore Rizza