Exporting Single Tabs - How to Get It Back Into Full Original Spreadsheet?

kian...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2016, 9:34:20 AM12/22/16
to OpenRefine
When opening one of my spreadsheet in OpenRefine as a new project, it asks which tab/sheet I would like to work with. The spreadsheet in question has 4 different tabs/sheets in the same spreadsheet, the original sheet, a working copy sheet for cleanup, another sheet for other information, etc.

I worked with the working copy tab/sheet of this spreadsheet, and then I exported it. The issue is that it did not export the entire spreadsheet, just that one tab/sheet from the spreadsheet. I'm wondering how to get it back into the original spreadsheet, or how to export the entire thing so that it's not exported in different pieces, or one piece out of many.

Thad Guidry

Dec 22, 2016, 11:24:22 AM12/22/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
OpenRefine does work in that fashion.
It allows you to work with a single data grid at a time.
However, as you saw during Import... you can checkmark all the tabs of your spreadsheet to import than into that single data grid.
And then export however you wish.

If you want to "get back to original form"...
You'll have to spend the time to import one worksheet at a time...clean it up and transform how you wish...then export...
Then using LibreOffice or Excel...import each exported worksheet into a new tab....to get back to your original tabbed worksheet layout.

-Thad

Thad Guidry

Dec 22, 2016, 11:29:56 AM12/22/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
You were probably looking for a feature where ALL the worksheets in your spreadsheet are imported...but your only looking to clean up one of those worksheets and hide the rest of them until Export time.

I think that's been asked for before in our Github issues, but in not quite the same use case as I mentioned above... https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/892

If your use case is different, you can just file a new issue as an enhancement with your particular needs.  No guarantees on when or if it will be added to OpenRefine unfortunately.