Possible to release a new 2.6RC to using Java 8u101?

Joe Wicentowski

Aug 10, 2016, 10:54:34 AM8/10/16
to OpenRefine
Hi all,

The site where my OpenRefine reconciliation service endpoint is hosted
uses a free SSL certificate provided by Let's Encrypt. OpenRefine
refuses to connect to Let's Encrypt-signed certificates using the
currently embedded version of Java, jdk1.8.0_60.jdk. The latest
release of the JDK, 8u101 (or as homebrew installed it on my Mac
8u102) does support Let's Encrypt certificates. However, merely
updating one's system JDK doesn't help OpenRefine, since it uses an
embedded JDK.

Is there any possibility of releasing a new 2.6 release candidate that
could include the latest JDK that would support OR reconciliation
service endpoints built on Let's Encrypt?

Thanks,
Joe

p.s. The endpoint is
https://1861.history.state.gov/exist/apps/people/reconcile; more
documentation at https://1861.history.state.gov/exist/apps/people.

Thad Guidry

Aug 10, 2016, 11:32:11 AM8/10/16
to openrefine
Joe,

OpenRefine doesn't use an embedded JDK.
By default It uses the JDK at your "JAVA_HOME" environment variable.

Perhaps you need to tweak (uncomment the JAVA_HOME line) your 'refine.ini' file and launch with the refine.sh ?

Joe Wicentowski

Aug 10, 2016, 12:55:57 PM8/10/16
to OpenRefine
Hi Thad,

Thanks for that pointer. I just set JAVA_HOME in Terminal and
relaunching OpenRefine. I had the same results as before, so I assume
the JAVA_HOME property wasn't picked up by OpenRefine, but I'm unsure
how to determine which Java OpenRefine is using.

$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_102"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.102-b14, mixed mode)
$ ls -lA /Library/Java/Home
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 64 Aug 10 10:44 /Library/Java/Home ->
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_102.jdk/Contents/Home
$ export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/Library/Java/Home

I couldn't find refine.sh in OpenRefine.app. Is this only available
for users who build from source?

More generally, I'd like to be able to provide directions to users for
accessing our endpoint from their own OpenRefine installations, so if
possible it would be great to make the solution available to those who
download the pre-built installers. I see that the prebuilt installer
has a full copy of 8u60:

/Applications/OpenRefine.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre

If this were replaced with 8u102 in a new release, this would do the
trick for the general use case I mention. I don't underestimate the
effort involve in packaging a new release though, so I appreciate your
suggestions.

Joe
>> email to openrefine+...@googlegroups.com.

Thad Guidry

Aug 10, 2016, 1:56:59 PM8/10/16
to openrefine
Sorry, Its just 'refine' .. a bash script in the root install folder...

Sorry, but you lost me on the other comments, questions.
I'm not a Mac user.
But others on this list are and might be better able to help you along.

Here is the start of the Mac build target ... perhaps within it you might discover what you need...dunno.

Joe Wicentowski

Aug 10, 2016, 5:25:02 PM8/10/16
to OpenRefine
Thanks, Thad.

Let me summarize for the next person who might weigh in on this thread:

Out of the box, Mac users of 2.6RC2 cannot connect to OpenRefine
Reconciliation Services whose endpoints use SSL certificates issued by
Let's Encrypt, a new certificate authority. A root CA, IdenTrust, has
cross signed Let's Encrypt as an intermediate CA, so effectively Let's
Encrypt's CA was added in Java 8u101. Bottom line: Mac 2.6RC2 users
would benefit from a new release that upgrades from the Java 8u60 JDK
bundled in 2.6RC2 to 8u101/2.

Joe

>> > --
>>
>> --

Owen Stephens

Aug 12, 2016, 9:29:45 AM8/12/16
to OpenRefine
A couple of things in case either helps.

1) Is it possible the issue could be resolved as per this question https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openrefine/8JTuPzzBstI (adding the Let's Encrypt certificate directly to Java trusted certs)?
2) Although I use OpenRefine on Mac, I now run the Linux version instead of the OS X version. This makes working with command line options etc much easier as you aren't trying to pick through the OS X info.plist and whatever magic is in the 'JavaAppLauncher'

Owen