Google Sheets Connection

Nishita Tamuly

Aug 25, 2017, 5:35:23 PM8/25/17
to OpenRefine
Hello All,

New to the platform.

I am having trouble importing data from Google sheets.

I tried the sign in option but it does not display any of my sheets:

I created a dummy public sheet to test the other option, but the screen froze for  along time saying "preparing data"

Has anyone experienced anything similar or has any solve? Any tips appreciated. Thank you!

Thad Guidry

Aug 25, 2017, 10:50:53 PM8/25/17
to OpenRefine
The underlying API for Google Sheets has changed.  We have not updated our client code against the new SDK in a long LONG while.

This would need a bounty or backer to bring our client code portion up to date to fix the issue for you.
Perhaps you can open an issue and use social media to promote it and get backers for that new issue on its Bounty Source page ?

In the meantime, just do a download from Google Sheets and save a local copy and work with it from there in OpenRefine.

-Thad

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Aug 31, 2017, 3:21:13 AM8/31/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Someone else on Twitter was interested in that too:
https://twitter.com/hughprysten/status/902965901284188160

So just team up and post a bounty here:
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/62787-import-from-public-google-spreadsheet-doesn-t-work

Bounties don't have to be huge - if everybody who needs that feature can
fork out a few bucks it could go a long way. Every little helps! It also
helps us gauge interest in a feature.

Cheers,
Antonin

On 26/08/2017 03:50, Thad Guidry wrote:
> The underlying API for Google Sheets has changed. We have not updated
> our client code against the new SDK in a long LONG while.
>
> This would need a bounty or backer to bring our client code portion up
> to date to fix the issue for you.
> Perhaps you can open an issue and use social media to promote it and get
> backers for that new issue on its Bounty Source page ?
>
> In the meantime, just do a download from Google Sheets and save a local
> copy and work with it from there in OpenRefine.
>
> -Thad
> +ThadGuidry <https://www.google.com/+ThadGuidry>
>

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 4:35 PM Nishita Tamuly <nishita...@gmail.com
> <mailto:nishita...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> New to the platform.
>
> I am having trouble importing data from Google sheets.
>
> I tried the sign in option but it does not display any of my sheets:
>
> I created a dummy public sheet to test the other option, but the
> screen froze for along time saying "preparing data"
>
> Has anyone experienced anything similar or has any solve? Any tips
> appreciated. Thank you!
>
> --

Nishita Tamuly

Aug 31, 2017, 12:17:13 PM8/31/17
to OpenRefine, li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu
Thanks for response on this guys!

Would this cover the process for a private sheet, or would that have to be a separate issue?

Thad Guidry

Aug 31, 2017, 1:05:20 PM8/31/17
to OpenRefine, li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu
Hi Nishita,

It covers all Google Spreadsheets.  The API just needs the Sheet ID.  https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/guides/concepts#spreadsheet_id

Google has a common API to work with private and public Google spreadsheets after authentication.
We will have to switch out to using that new library instead of the old client library.