OpenRefine won't save changes, new projects get corrupted after restart

Wayne

Jul 20, 2013, 1:16:10 AM7/20/13
to openr...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the latest version. Just recently, refine starts acting weird. Now it won't save changes to the existing projects. And all newly created projects are corrupted upon restart.

Please help! Thank you.

Tom Morris

Jul 20, 2013, 1:19:36 AM7/20/13
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Is the latest version 2.5 or the development version from github or.something else?

What did you change just before things started failing?

Tom

On Jul 20, 2013 1:16 AM, "Wayne" <uongt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using the latest version. Just recently, refine starts acting weird. Now it won't save changes to the existing projects. And all newly created projects are corrupted upon restart.

Please help! Thank you.

Wayne

Jul 20, 2013, 8:45:55 PM7/20/13
to openr...@googlegroups.com
I'm using version 2.5-r2407. I might have updated windows a few days ago. It seems like new projects aren't able to save data.zip so they become corrupted. Changes to exsiting projects are not saved as well

Thank you.

Wayne

Jul 20, 2013, 8:54:44 PM7/20/13
to openr...@googlegroups.com
I found that changes are only made whenever I export the projects. The data.zip and metadata.json files are only created when I export the project. This never happened before.

Chris Westling

Jul 20, 2013, 6:42:12 PM7/20/13
to openr...@googlegroups.com
This also happened to me a few days ago on a desktop Windows 7 installation of Refine 2.5  I was running Firefox as a default browser, and the problems appeared to be coincident with an upgrade to Firefox v22.0.  Not sure how that would factor in, but it's the only configuration change that occurred.

Refine was open in Firefox when a power-off shutdown occurred, and when I opened Refine again, some (but not all) of my projects were corrupted.

I've since recreated some of my projects in Refine on a linux server running the dev version,  but I haven't been able to find out why some projects were corrupted and some werent.

Warren @ Center for Research Libraries

Nov 1, 2015, 1:07:14 PM11/1/15
to OpenRefine
Wayne:

Did you ever solve this problem? I am about to install Google Refine on my work desktop, and I want to know what version to install (2.5-stable or 2.6-beta) to avoid this cannot save project issue. On my version of Open Refine I use from home, I created projects will not save. "Saving" a project means exporting it a spreadsheet document.

Thanks,
Warren

Thad Guidry

Nov 1, 2015, 3:37:05 PM11/1/15
to openrefine
On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Warren @ Center for Research Libraries <watson...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wayne:

Did you ever solve this problem? I am about to install Google Refine on my work desktop, and I want to know what version to install (2.5-stable or 2.6-beta) to avoid this cannot save project issue. On my version of Open Refine I use from home, I created projects will not save. "Saving" a project means exporting it a spreadsheet document.

Thanks,
Warren

​I would encourage you to use 2.6 beta....we fixed several issues with automatic project saving, etc.. as well as numerious bugs.   If you are looking to somehow backup your project because you don't want to risk losing your work, then use the Export OpenRefine project and save the gzip file in a safe place.

OpenRefine lets use export a project in various formats.  It also lets you "save" and export an OpenRefine project (a gzipped file) to allow easily sharing a OpenRefine project with someone else or between desktop and laptop, etc.  https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Exporters#exporting-projects

Thad

Ashish Johar

Nov 10, 2016, 12:47:06 PM11/10/16
to OpenRefine
Same problem , used  openrefine-2.6-rc.2 , unable to load the project , working with large dataset

Please help !!
Thanks
Ashish

John Little

Nov 10, 2016, 1:59:51 PM11/10/16
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Ashish:

Please describe your process in more detail.

What steps have you tried already?
What is the file-size of the file you want to open?
Have you tried opening the data in other programs?  (Excel, TextPad, Notepad++)
Are the data structured in any way?  (i.e. CSV, TSV, JSON, etc.)
Can you say how many rows (observations) of data?
Can you say how many variables (columns) of data?
Can you make the file-size smaller in some way and open a subset of the data?