DELETE AND MOVE LEFT

peter.m...@hmri.org.au

Apr 22, 2017, 12:32:06 AM4/22/17
to OpenRefine
Delete (with option to move data  up down left or right)  when wrangling data in excel this is a useful feature, to correct an issue that might only occur in a few rows where columns have become mal-aligned

Any way to do this in OR

Peter

Ettore Rizza

Apr 22, 2017, 4:09:09 AM4/22/17
to OpenRefine
Open refine doesn't have an option to delete a row directly. You must star (or flag) the wrong rows, then facet by star (or flag) and "remove all matching rows". To move the content from one column to another, you can use the procedure described in this screencast.

peter.m...@hmri.org.au

Apr 23, 2017, 6:25:57 PM4/23/17
to OpenRefine
Thx Ettore can see how stars can be  used to remove rows.

Thx for the video,  what I am trying to do is the equivalent in excel of.

Delete one cell (eg. A2)  in row A
Move the cells in row A from A3 to A2, and A4 to A3,  etc   when you delete a cell excel asks ifyou want to move data up down, left and right

thx

Peter

Owen Stephens

Apr 27, 2017, 3:13:19 PM4/27/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Peter,

As far as I'm aware there isn't any equivalent of that function in OpenRefine. The way that Ettore has shown is the way I'd also tackle this in OpenRefine - essentially:

Identify the list of affected rows (this doesn't have to be via the 'star' - as long as you can identify them by some common criteria)
Work with just the affected rows via a facet
Do a transform to copy the data from the incorrect col to the correct col
Do a transform to remove the values from the incorrect col

This is obviously not as smooth as Excel's option to move values up/down/left/right after a deleted, but I can't think of any other way in OR at the moment.

Owen