Impossible to fetch data from a https URL

Mathieu Saby

Sep 29, 2017, 10:00:11 AM9/29/17
to OpenRefine
Hi

On my Mac, I tried to fetch json data from this webservice:
https://geo.api.gouv.fr/communes?nom=Nice

 It did not work (page frozen with this message : "Create column test at index 1 by fetching URLs based on column Column 1 using expression grel:value 0% complete")
If I uncheck the "cache responses" checkbox, and choose to "store error", Openrefine put this error message in the new column :
"sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target"

But I can fetch data from other https web services, like https://www.sudoc.fr/services/nnt2ppn/2013PEST1195,2014PA112157

So I suppose it has something to do with SSL support, either in my Mac or in Openrefine.
Can you reproduce this issue, or give me an advice?

(And by the way, I don't know what "cache responses" is supposed to do. Is it a wanted behavior ?)

M. Saby

Owen Stephens

Sep 29, 2017, 10:02:56 AM9/29/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Matthieu

See this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/openrefine/sun.security.validator%7Csort:relevance/openrefine/8JTuPzzBstI/e9A3MZxuEAAJ  - basically you need the appropriate SSL Certificate installed for the JRE

Mathieu Saby

Oct 10, 2017, 8:14:00 PM10/10/17
to OpenRefine
Hi
Thank you for the advice. It works, but I did not realize first that I had to update cacert file in
/Applications/OpenRefine.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security
I thought I had to update file in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_71.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security

I don't know anything about java, so maybe the question is stupid, but does Openrefine came with it's own java ?

Mathieu

Thad Guidry

Oct 10, 2017, 8:45:31 PM10/10/17
to openrefine
No, you have to already have a JRE or JDK installed on your Operating System.
OpenRefine will then use that...it looks for $JAVA_HOME by default in the startup script.

Mathieu Saby

Oct 11, 2017, 2:26:00 AM10/11/17
to OpenRefine
I understand now... My $JAVA_HOME is void ;-)
I'm going to fix that
Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openrefine+...@googlegroups.com.