Restoring deleted data

Andrea Zanni

Feb 2, 2018, 5:17:00 AM2/2/18
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
a question.

If I accidentally deleted a project, is it lost forever?

I actually put my /user/bin/share/ folder on a cloud backup service, so I'm trying to see if there is a clean backup there.
But, generally speaking, I'd like to know your experience with this.

Andrea

Ettore Rizza

Feb 2, 2018, 6:55:32 AM2/2/18
to OpenRefine
Hi Andrea,

to the best of my knowledge, "delete project" completely erases the project (bypassing the recycle bin) and erases its ID from the Workspace.json file.

Personally, I store my projects in a folder synchronized with Dropbox. The projects are not only saved in the cloud, but it's also possible to restore the whole workspace directory to a previous state.

Andrea Zanni

Feb 2, 2018, 7:55:02 AM2/2/18
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I think that bypassing the Recycle bin is a mistake...
If it's unavoidable (because of the technicalities, I'm not a dev) maybe a slightly more secure way to delete projects could be helpful:
right now is quite easy to click "Delete project", and the complete deletion is only another click away :-)

Of course, in this case it was my fault, I don't want to blame anyone,
but it's not the first time I think that this feature of OR could be improved.

Anyway, thanks (I managed to find a older version of my dataset, so I list only few hours of work and not much more).

Aubrey