Installation fail

eleanorer...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 1:15:02 PM4/24/17
to OpenRefine
I've tried several times to download and install the latest version of Open Refine but I can't open the application once I've done this. It just flicks on and then closes itself down. I need the application to finish a data journalism course I'm doing but IT is not really my strong point so if anyone can provide some basic instructions to solve this, I would be very grateful.

Ettore Rizza

Apr 25, 2017, 4:19:51 AM4/25/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Eleanore,

Hard to help without further information. Are you on Mac or PC? And on which operating system (Windows, Linux...)?

eleanorer...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 5:41:59 AM4/25/17
to OpenRefine
Hi Ettore

It's a PC with Windows 10. I've checked the posts here about it and my username is Eleanore so shouldn't throw up any problems.

Ettore Rizza

Apr 25, 2017, 5:59:01 AM4/25/17
to OpenRefine
Re,

Since you say that IT is not your strong point, I allow myself to ask some basic questions. Excuse me if they seem silly:

1 ° have you unzipped the archive on your desktop after downloading Open Refine?

2 if so, try double clicking on "openrefine.exe", or "refine.bat". If the console opens, can you copy and paste here what it displays?

Thad Guidry

Apr 25, 2017, 8:15:00 AM4/25/17
to OpenRefine

You don't have Java installed or your JAVA_HOME is not pointing correctly to its bin path. Sorry, out of the country now but our FAQ can help more if needed.

Ettore RIZZA

Apr 25, 2017, 8:25:32 AM4/25/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, the problem seems very similar to that described here under Windows 7.

eleanorer...@gmail.com

May 1, 2017, 6:46:26 AM5/1/17
to OpenRefine
I installed Java but it made no difference. None of the contents of the Open Refine Zip Folder had exe or bat at the end either.

Ettore RIZZA

May 1, 2017, 6:52:53 AM5/1/17
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Either you have downloaded a Linux or Mac version, or you have set Windows to hide the known file extensions. refine.exe looks like a diamond, refine.bat is an icon containing gears.

eleanorer...@gmail.com

May 1, 2017, 7:27:38 AM5/1/17
to OpenRefine
Thanks Ettore. How do unhide the file extensions?

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:52:53 AM UTC+1, Ettore Rizza wrote:
Either you have downloaded a Linux or Mac version, or you have set Windows to hide the known file extensions. refine.exe looks like a diamond, refine.bat is an icon containing gears.

I installed Java but it made no difference. None of the contents of the Open Refine Zip Folder had exe or bat at the end either.

eleanorer...@gmail.com

May 1, 2017, 8:19:12 AM5/1/17
to OpenRefine
I've figured out the file extension thing, downloaded again and it now works. Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Ellie