Train Planning Network Model Example

petermount

Aug 2, 2015, 2:59:39 PM8/2/15
I've been playing with the new Train Planning Network Model data over the last week & have made some progress.

I've found that there's some errors in the xsd that's on the wiki, a few entries don't validate and there's a few missing entries as well. I've put a working version on github: https://github.com/peter-mount/opendata/tree/master/nrod/nrod-tpnm/src/main/schemas which compiles into valid Java JAXB objects.

As for the data there's obviously quite a lot of data in there & I've only touched the surface of it but here's a few examples of what I've managed to get out of it so far:

Maidstone (East, West & Baracks): http://uktra.in/tpnm/map/5/124360/12939/510/3

Note: Everything you see on those pages are from that one single xml file, now you can see why it's that large.

Peter

Peter Hicks

Aug 3, 2015, 3:05:18 AM8/3/15
to petermount, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community

Hi Peter

Can you let me know, offlist, what's missing and what doesn't validate?

Cheers,

Peter

petermount

Aug 3, 2015, 3:15:12 AM8/3/15
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, peter...@gmail.com
I've just sent you a diff of the differences.

Dave Butland

Aug 3, 2015, 8:45:08 AM8/3/15
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, peter...@gmail.com
Why am I always too busy with my real job when interesting things like this happen? This looks like gold dust.

Peter and Peter, Thanks once again for providing invaluable information.

Mike Playle

Apr 17, 2016, 4:02:45 PM4/17/16
Resurrecting an old thread because it's the only one I can find about
this data set. Has anyone else tried to interpret it?

I've been experimenting with mapping the ELR+distance data from this
file onto the Inspire linestrings. This lets me extract real world
locations for a lot of points on the railway, mostly claiming to be
signals:

   http://cocoabo.vfx.org.uk/BGK-line.kml

By fuzzy-matching the signal names against the TD graph I've also been
able to produce vaguely plausible-looking locations for many of the TD
berths, at least in some parts of the country:

   http://cocoabo.vfx.org.uk/CA-EN-WG.kml

There are a lot of gotchas I haven't mentioned, but it looks like it
could be useful for some purposes (such as visualising the TD feed).

If anyone else thinks this is interesting then I'm happy to spend an
hour or two writing a wiki page about what I've been able to decipher
from this file. Any takers?

Mike

petermount

Apr 19, 2016, 5:12:39 AM4/19/16
I'd be interested in it. I was planning on looking at that dataset again once I've finished cleaning everything up.

Peter

Kai Gohegan

Aug 31, 2017, 5:57:32 AM8/31/17
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread...

@petermount - Peter, could you give some detail on how you extracted your mapping from the XML format network model?

Thanks,

Kai

petermount

Aug 31, 2017, 7:59:38 AM8/31/17
I've got to revisit that model anyhow, but from memory, due to the sheer size of the xml (~1GB uncompressed) I used a streaming xml parser which then just fed the entries into the db as it went.

Peter