Issues with philweiland/openrail and Stompy connecting

mattm...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 5:34:56 AM7/12/16
Hi all,

I've just re-started one of my websites that uses the code from and I'm seeing the following error:

=================
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [PROC ] stomp_read()
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [DEBUG ] stomp_read(): Received 427 characters.
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [PROC ] stomp_manager(5, "ERROR
content-type:text/plain
message:Unknown STOMP action: 12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] Socket connected to STOMP server. Sending CONNECT message.
") in state 0: Action 4.
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] STOMP response to CONNECT received. Headers:
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] ERROR
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] content-type:text/plain
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] message:Unknown STOMP action: 12/07/16 08:45:37Z [GENERAL] Socket connected to STOMP server. Sending CONNECT message.
12/07/16 08:45:37Z [MAJOR ] CONNECT response incorrect.
==========

My current configuration looks like this:
==========
# Open Rail configuration file
#
# Lines beginning with #, and blank lines are ignored.

# Database settings
db_name rail
db_user rail
db_password <dbpassword>
db_server localhost

# National rail account details
nr_user <my username>
nr_password <my password>

# Email(s) to which reports should be sent. Multiple emails should be separated with a space.
# Comment out whole line to disable sending of emails
report_email m...@lunchtimetrains.co.uk

# STOMP topics to which to subscribe, separated by ;
# First one must be a VSTP topic or "void"
# 2nd one must be a TRUST topic or "void"
# 3rd one must be a TD topic or "void"
# 4th one is currently unused and should be "void" or not present.

stomp_topics: VSTP_ALL;TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC;TD_ALL_SIG_AREA;void
#stomp_topics: void;void;TD_ALL_SIG_AREA

# STOMP Topic names
stomp_topic_names VSTP;TRUST;TD

# STOMP logging. For each topic selected, put true if a log of the rew messages is to be kept.
stomp_topic_log true;true;true;true

# Uncomment to select debug mode
debug

# Uncomment to enable Huyton alerts.
#huyton_alerts

# Uncomment to cause stompy to collect messages from Network Rail and then bin them.
#stompy_bin

# Uncomment to disable the deduced activation function in trustdb. This function causes a high CPU load.
#trustdb_no_deduce_act

==========

FWIW, I've tried with the same username/password and the Python example on the wiki and that appears to work fine, so it's not the credentials :(

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Matt

Phil Wieland

Jul 12, 2016, 5:51:50 AM7/12/16
Aaargh!  There's an error in the example config file on GIT:

stomp_topics: VSTP_ALL;TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC;TD_ALL_SIG_AREA;void

should be

stomp_topics VSTP_ALL;TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC;TD_ALL_SIG_AREA;void

I'll correct that on GIT straight away, and look a tidying the error reporting where there are no topics to subscribe to.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Wieland

Jul 12, 2016, 9:33:43 AM7/12/16
... and you've turned up an embarrassing regression in the latest GIT release of stompy, and probably some of the other daemons.

For the time being, turn off debug mode by commenting out the line in the config file before starting any daemons.  They will not work properly with debug turned on.

Hope you haven't wasted too much time on this.

Cheers,

Phil

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

Jul 19, 2016, 4:25:12 PM7/19/16
Hi Phil,

Sorry for the late reply, normal work has got in the way of checking my email!

I worked out the fix and removed the colon, www.lunchtimetrains.co.uk is back online as a result!

Thankfully I had Debug turned off already so I didn't run in to any other gremlins, but thanks for the headsup, I'll keep it turned off for now :)

Cheers,

Matt

djbur...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 4:01:19 AM7/20/16
Hi Matthew,
Just looked at your lunchtimetrains, as it seemed to be an interestingly "different" take on what you can do with open data.
Couple of comments:
(1) With free membership you say it's possible to "Maintain and get alerts for locomotives and EMU/DMU's on your personal hit list" - do you have source for this information?
(2) (offtopic for this group!) It's not possible to use your site on a non-GPS device (or one on which the GPS has been disabled). Would it not be possible manually to enter a location?
Regards,
Dave

Phil Wieland

Jul 20, 2016, 7:43:13 AM7/20/16
No problem Matt.

I've fixed the embarrassing debug problem on GIT now.

Cheers,

Phil