Joining and Dividing Trains

Lee Fortnam

Mar 26, 2017, 8:05:54 PM3/26/17
Good Evening All,

Been having a bit of fun with this one this evening. According to the following Association update in Darwin, the rid 201703266774105 train is supposed to be a dividing train with part of it splitting at Edinburgh and it being given rid 201703276774089

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Pport xmlns="http://www.thalesgroup.com/rtti/PushPort/v12" xmlns:ns2="http://www.thalesgroup.com/rtti/PushPort/Schedules/v1" ts="2017-03-26T02:43:05.6066477+01:00" version="12.0"><uR requestID="0000000000001872" requestSource="at04" updateOrigin="CIS"><association category="VV" tiploc="EDINBUR"><ns2_main rid="201703266774105" wta="03:59:30" wtd="04:15:30"/><ns2_assoc rid="201703276774089" wtd="04:43"/></association></uR></Pport>

The issue I have is that 201703276774089 departs from Edinburgh so that part looks to be okay but the other train (201703266774105) doesn't go anywhere near the station and so how can it divide?

201703266774105 =

Inline images 1

201703276774089 =

Inline images 2

Welcome any insight as this is starting to cause me to go boggle eyed.

Kind Regards,

Lee

Phil Wieland

Mar 27, 2017, 1:56:05 AM3/27/17
I only use the NR feeds, not Darwin, so this could be irrelevant.

Last night's Euston - Inverness was routed via Edinburgh to divide but this was not a passenger stop.  I think Darwin is only showing passenger calls.  The stopping pattern of the sleepers has always been a bit peculiar.

In the CIF timetable for 1S25 20:57 Euston to Inverness the Edinburgh call is marked "Stops to change locomotives.  Stops to detach vehicles.  Stops for locomotive to run round.".  It is not marked "Stops to take up and set down passengers.".

Phil

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Mar 27, 2017, 2:13:32 AM3/27/17
Hi Phil, Lee,

The sleeper services are a real pain - the ‘through’ train does not make a passenger stop at Edinburgh and the Aberdeen and Inverness portions start at Edinburgh but this isn’t actually an advertised stop for at least one of the dividing portions.

Peter

Lee Fortnam

Mar 27, 2017, 6:00:17 AM3/27/17
to Peter Hicks (Poggs), A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
So of all the trains I had to pick to do testing on, I chose the WRONG one lol.

Thanks for your help as always gentlemen.

Kind regards,

Lee

Linus Norton

Mar 30, 2017, 3:52:08 AM3/30/17
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, peter...@poggs.co.uk
Sorry I'd missed this thread. We (Assertis) do the https://sleeper.scot website so we know a bit about the oddities of sleepers.

I believe the sleeper trains are the only that divide in to three portions. On top of that I think there is a join at the same time.

It's been a while since I've personally had a look at the data but if you have any more questions I can definitely pass them on.