Outage this morning?

Peter Hicks

Nov 23, 2015, 4:14:28 AM11/23/15
to openraildata-talk
All,

Did anyone else see an outage between between 0758 and 0816 this morning?  I noticed a sharp dip in the number of message I received throughout this period and resultant data loss.

Peter

Phil Wieland

Nov 23, 2015, 4:25:28 AM11/23/15
Yes indeed.

Message flow stopped 08:01
STOMP connection dropped 08:03 (Dropped by the Network Rail end.)
A few failed attempts to reconnect.
STOMP connection reconnected 08:08
But no messages at all until normal flow resumed at 08:17

There was a small initial spike in message rate above normal levels, but no-where near enough to fill in the sixteen minute gap.

Cheers,

Phil

petermount

Nov 23, 2015, 4:46:46 AM11/23/15
Yes I did from 08:00-08:15 had nothing come through from NR.

Peter Hicks

Nov 23, 2015, 4:47:35 AM11/23/15
to Phil Wieland, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Phil (and everyone else)

From a subscriber's perspective, what's the impact on your particular application when there's feed instability?  It'll be really good to get some concrete examples of just how important these feeds are - that they're powering actual applications people use.

I'll start off... from an OpenTrainTimes perspective, if I lose TD data (and the messages disappear after 60 seconds), then my real-time maps, which are used by hundreds of people in industry, display incorrect data.  Signal aspects are wrong, berths contain 'stale' data and descriptions are left behind until another train refreshes the data in a berth.

Peter

petermount

Nov 23, 2015, 6:30:59 AM11/23/15
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, goo...@philwieland.com
Same here for TD - my maps would also be out of sync until another train runs through a berth, but also the RTPPM display would appear to stall. That one would be an issue if the outage was at the end of the day due to the last values (~0200) get tweeted in the morning & there's a lot of people using those.

Phil Wieland

Nov 23, 2015, 6:31:01 AM11/23/15
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, goo...@philwieland.com
I can't claim hundreds of people, but my real-time maps are in constant use, and as with yours, the berth and signal states quickly become inaccurate.  (If the outage is longer than a few minutes I blank all the berths and signals.)

Also, not (yet) available to the public, I collect schedule data and TRUST movement records, including historical records going back two years.  An outage leaves a gap in this record, as well as making live displays inaccurate.

Cheers,

Phil

Where-in-Sussex

Nov 23, 2015, 12:58:47 PM11/23/15
Currently running about 55-65 seconds behind reality. Can see duplicate digits due to missed steps right now

Phil Wieland

Nov 23, 2015, 1:05:13 PM11/23/15
Me too!

Where-in-Sussex

Nov 23, 2015, 1:18:27 PM11/23/15
It keeps recovering then dropping back again after a few mins. Seeing this TTL of 60 seconds on the (incoming to Rockshore) TD feed again that Peter mentioned the other week?

Peter Hicks

Nov 23, 2015, 1:27:09 PM11/23/15
to Where-in-Sussex, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
I'm seeing that too - messages are coming in to me with a latency of around 60 seconds, which goes down to around 45 seconds but then rises to 60.  I'm also losing messages.

I've logged a support ticket.  Other than that, I'm sorry, my hands are tied.  It's impacting me as badly as everyone else :(

Peter