CPL names from shotnames

Nick Lamb

Jan 1, 2018, 9:00:10 AM1/1/18
Hi I’m not sure if I’m using the right terminology here but I need to convert the short station names to the 3 letter codes for example LNDNBDC would be LBG (London Bridge) this is so I can make sense of the XML schedule file which uses the long codes

any pointer as where I can get a reference file would be very much appreciated

thanks in advance

Peter Hicks

Jan 1, 2018, 9:03:30 AM1/1/18
to Nick Lamb, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Nick

The three-letter codes were called "CRS codes", after the Computer Reservation System that was decommissioned some years ago.  I still call them CRS codes, other systems may call them 'three alpha codes'.  The 4-to-7 alphanumeric codes in schedules are called TIPLOCs - TIming Point LOCation.

The reference data from Darwin, available via FTP through datafeeds.nationalrail.co.uk, has TIPLOCs as well as CRS codes.  Where one CRS code maps on to mutliple TIPLOCs (e.g. WFJ is WATFDJ and WATFJDC), there are two TIPLOC entries with the same CRS code.

Peter

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Holloway, London N19 3NW

Nick Lamb

Jan 1, 2018, 9:23:19 AM1/1/18
thanks as always for the quick response, i’m connected to the FTP sever already as that’s where I grabbed the xml schedule from however I can readly spot which file holds the reference data, can you advise which one has it

thanks

Nick Lamb

Jan 1, 2018, 9:26:42 AM1/1/18
is it the one ending v3.XML?

Peter Hicks

Jan 1, 2018, 9:33:03 AM1/1/18
to Nick Lamb, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Yup, it's 20180101020656_ref_v3.xml.gz for today.

The LocationRef entries are the ones you want.

Peter

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 at 14:26 Nick Lamb <nickl...@gmail.com> wrote:
is it the one ending v3.XML?

Nick Lamb