Gathering historical delayed data

belcher...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 9:05:39 AM4/14/16
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers!

I'm working to gather a database of historical train movements for look ups. I was initially pointed towards Darwin (the daily FTP dump), but as I've looked into that, it appears that dump only has future scheduling information, not records of what actually happened.

I then looked at the pPortData.log (and it's 5 minute archives) and was able to find regular 'schedule' updates on a specific journey which included the 'rdelay' parameter. Is the rdelay on the last schedule update equivalent to the actual delay the train had getting to a particular station?

I then found some information in this group which seemed to imply that actually Darwin was only about predicting information and that Network Rail's TRUST system was the place for information about what has actually happened. The documentation from that appears to suggest that I would need to use a combination of the SCHEDULE CIF data and the Train Movement updates to piece together the information I need. However the data files (schedule particularly) are vast and I've not yet found anything that appears to give me the information I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any pointers for where I can get or how I can piece together the actual delay information so that I can keep a historical record of it?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Ying Wang

Apr 14, 2016, 10:57:32 AM4/14/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, belcher...@googlemail.com
I asked this question before. It seems we can only collect the same day data. If you want, say one month's data. You will need to collect it daily.

在 2016年4月14日星期四 UTC+1下午2:05:39,belcher...@googlemail.com写道:

Phil Wieland

Apr 14, 2016, 11:43:34 AM4/14/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, belcher...@googlemail.com
I know of no way to download historical running information from Network Rail, I think you have to collect it yourself as it happens and then store it.

To give an idea of what is involved, I have the last 400 days of schedule and TRUST data stored in a mysql database, and it is about 46GB in size.

Cheers,

Phil

belcher...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 12:55:46 PM4/14/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, belcher...@googlemail.com
Thanks Phil,

Happy to collect it myself and have started to do it already.

Can you point me in the direction of how to link the schedule and train movements data together?

Thanks,
Andrew

Tom Lane

Apr 14, 2016, 1:28:48 PM4/14/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, belcher...@googlemail.com
Hi Andrew,

The train_uid in a Train Activation message links a train to a schedule.

-Tom

belcher...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 3:06:29 PM4/14/16
Fantastic! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks!