New TD areas

Adrian Hooper

Jan 11, 2017, 8:04:27 AM1/11/17
I've just run through the SMARTExtract data set to enter all the entries into a table, and in doing so have come across a number of TD area's which I don't have a record for, and are not listed on the NROD wiki.
I am seeing Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5 and Z6 appear but I have no idea what these are. Any ideas?

Adrian Bradshaw

Jan 11, 2017, 8:26:07 AM1/11/17
to openrail...@googlegroups.com

This is an ongoing problem for me. New signalling projects are going ahead all the time, with control passing to the new regional signalling centres. That means new TD codes popping up all over the place, but the SMART database can take months to catch up.

This s a problem for me because I have a facility to click on a headcode on a diagram and bring up the schedule for it. The problem is that headcodes are NOT unique, so to find the right schedule, all the matching ones need to be checked to see if they pass through the TD concerned. To do that, the SMART database is needed. Result - clicking on a headcode in a new TD area doesn't work....

---

Adrian Bradshaw  Administrator (volunteer)

Railcam UK Limited

@: adr...@railcam.uk

Railcam.uk  Bringing The Lineside To Your Armchair

Railcam UK Limited | A company limited by guarantee | registration number 10167844

3rd Floor | 207 Regent Street | London W1B 3HH

Railcam UK Ltd is operated on a not-for-profit basis entirely by volunteers

On 2017-01-11 13:04, Adrian Hooper wrote:

I've just run through the SMARTExtract data set to enter all the entries into a table, and in doing so have come across a number of TD area's which I don't have a record for, and are not listed on the NROD wiki.
I am seeing Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5 and Z6 appear but I have no idea what these are. Any ideas?

petermount

Jan 11, 2017, 8:32:47 AM1/11/17
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, adr...@railcam.uk
I've just checked my smart DB & TD Codes Z1 to Z6 are in there.

As for taking some time to catch up, I do remember someone saying it's a manual process to extract which might be why it takes time to get up to date.

Peter

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Jan 11, 2017, 8:34:56 AM1/11/17
to Adrian Hooper, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Adrian

> On 11 Jan 2017, at 13:04, Adrian Hooper <ageh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've just run through the SMARTExtract data set to enter all the entries into a table, and in doing so have come across a number of TD area's which I don't have a record for, and are not listed on the NROD wiki.
> I am seeing Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5 and Z6 appear but I have no idea what these are. Any ideas?

The presence of a berth operation in the SMART Extract data doesn’t mean that TD exists, only that *if* an operation on that TD for the berth(s) specified happens, then a certain type of message will be sent to TRUST.

Peter

Adrian Hooper

Jan 11, 2017, 8:43:25 AM1/11/17
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, ageh...@gmail.com
Right ok, makes sense I guess. Although seems a bit pointless to say to give a possible operation, but one that won't ever happen because the TD doesn't exist?
For now I've just inserted a TD entry into my describers table so I can continue.

But based on that, am I then right in thinking that the SMART data is used to translate the TD feed into other things? So example, a TD CA message arrives:

    { from_berth: null, to_berth: "312C", area_identifier: "A2" }

based on the smart data, I know that is something in Ashford station with stanox 89428?

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Jan 11, 2017, 8:51:13 AM1/11/17
to Adrian Hooper, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Adrian

> On 11 Jan 2017, at 13:43, Adrian Hooper <ageh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Right ok, makes sense I guess. Although seems a bit pointless to say to give a possible operation, but one that won't ever happen because the TD doesn't exist?

The TD doesn’t exist now, but it may do. Alternatively, you might not see any data for that TD because it’s involved in a test environment. Either way, you have to accept that data will not always be 100% in the way you want it, or 100% compliant with how you think it should be structured!

> But based on that, am I then right in thinking that the SMART data is used to translate the TD feed into other things? So example, a TD CA message arrives:
>
> { from_berth: null, to_berth: "312C", area_identifier: "A2" }
>
> based on the smart data, I know that is something in Ashford station with stanox 89428?

It looks like that berth operation (interpose to berth 312C on TD ‘A2’) will report an Up Departure from platform 2. But if you’re trying to use the SMART data to effectively replicate TRUST movement messages, you might be creating a rod for your own back.

Peter

Adrian Hooper

Jan 11, 2017, 8:53:37 AM1/11/17

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 13:51:13 UTC, Peter Hicks wrote:
Hi Adrian

> On 11 Jan 2017, at 13:43, Adrian Hooper <ageh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Right ok, makes sense I guess. Although seems a bit pointless to say to give a possible operation, but one that won't ever happen because the TD doesn't exist?

The TD doesn’t exist now, but it may do.  Alternatively, you might not see any data for that TD because it’s involved in a test environment.  Either way, you have to accept that data will not always be 100% in the way you want it, or 100% compliant with how you think it should be structured!

heh the more I work with it, the more I realise it's the complete opposite of how I'd want it :P

> But based on that, am I then right in thinking that the SMART data is used to translate the TD feed into other things? So example, a TD CA message arrives:
>
>     { from_berth: null, to_berth: "312C", area_identifier: "A2" }
>
> based on the smart data, I know that is something in Ashford station with stanox 89428?

It looks like that berth operation (interpose to berth 312C on TD ‘A2’) will report an Up Departure from platform 2.  But if you’re trying to use the SMART data to effectively replicate TRUST movement messages, you might be creating a rod for your own back.

Don't worry, I have no intention of replicating the TRUST messages, just trying to get my head around the SMART data and why I would need to use it, or if I need to use it other than mapping a TD to a stanox which I'm trying to do right now

Peter

Juhani Pirttilahti

Jan 27, 2017, 7:39:30 AM1/27/17
Hi Adrian

Bear in mind that the SMARTExtract data set has not been updated for about six months now. References are missing for new areas BG, D8, D9, KN, Q1 and X3.

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 15:04:27 UTC+2, Adrian Hooper wrote:
I've just run through the SMARTExtract data set to enter all the entries into a table, and in doing so have come across a number of TD area's which I don't have a record for, and are not listed on the NROD wiki.
I am seeing Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5 and Z6 appear but I have no idea what these are. Any ideas?

These areas seen in Smart reference data have been decommissioned and taken over by new areas:
CF => C2
Z1 => CE
Z2 => MP
Z3 => PX
Z4 => SK
Z5 => WO
Z6 => M2, M3

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Jan 27, 2017, 7:43:16 AM1/27/17
to Juhani Pirttilahti, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Juhani

> On 27 Jan 2017, at 12:39, Juhani Pirttilahti <juhani.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> These areas seen in Smart reference data have been decommissioned and taken over by new areas:
> CF => C2
> Z1 => CE
> Z2 => MP
> Z3 => PX
> Z4 => SK
> Z5 => WO
> Z6 => M2, M3

I don’t think those Z-prefixed SMART IDs ever existed, and may be in the reference data for testing purposes. Crewe PSB (CE), Manchester Piccadilly (MP) and Preston (PX) have been there for years.

Peter